Purple or Yellow tang? I need help deciding.

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjtax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Purple tang or Yellow tang

  • Purple tang

    Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Yellow tang

    Votes: 13 59.1%

  • Total voters
    22
It so nice to see captive stuff, at the end of the day, best for everyone.

With the ban, I was getting concerned if I had to replace, I would not be able to get one, but yours look fantastic. Very cool.

The first ones I seen were an inch and half and seemed pale. But maybe that’s just one batch or juvenile coloration.
Mine was super pale when he came but colored up nice and grew fast! First two are of when he first came, then a few weeks in and where he is today. You can see him just keep getting brighter
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 33
The first ones I seen were an inch and half and seemed pale. But maybe that’s just one batch or juvenile coloration.

They are pale but that is part of the growth cycle. My pink square anthias, also captive bred/raised at Biota, also arrived pale. I am not a marine biologist but just what I've experienced with other fish purchased that young. Most recent fish was a Milletseed Butterfly - pale in color with very light black dots. Today it has nearly doubled in size and the yellow lemon color is starting to take hold along with the expected black seeds along the body.

There are a few images of Biota's captive bred by wild at age and you cannot tell them apart in photos.
 
Why not both?
IMG_0133.jpeg


 
Why not both?
IMG_0133.jpeg


If I could afford that I would so have one!
 
Why not both?
IMG_0133.jpeg


That is stunning!
 
I had to upgrade my 140 to a 300 for 2 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tomini, 1 Blonde Naso, 1 Blue hippo and 34 other fish...
 
Why not both?
IMG_0133.jpeg


Hmmm…Do u have a spare 10K?
 
Probably neither. You could do either for a short time, but certainly not long term, and I'm not a fan of switching out fish. I'm not the tang police, but a 7" fish won't do well in a 24" (I assume) tank.
 
I have 6 tangs in a 300.(2 yellow, 1 purple, 1 Blonde Naso, 1 Tomini and 1 Blue Hippo) prior to the 300, I had a 140 which only had two tangs in it. Your 40 gallon is to small for tangs since they will grow and even when small they want and need space to swim alot. My naso zooms around the 300. At some point in a year or so I am going to upgrade to 600ish just to give them a good home and space...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top