Purple Queen Anthias and foods

I started with 3 anthias also one changed sex and then there were 2! Have been fine since!

Great article! Seams like a lot of work but, necessary work to keep these fish. Not sure I would have the time to do it everyday. Maybe when I retire. ;)
 
8dfe29cf713f543c53c9e29e75a80589.jpg


I bought my first batch of purple anthias, I started with live brine shrimp. They were in my refugium with powerhead constant on. I fed them 8 times a day to fat them up.

1 month later they are released to the display tank and brought another batch of purple queen anthias. Same procedure. They stick with purple anthias and will chase lobster eggs like crazy.

I got tired of manually feeding so I diy ed a auto food doser. It does suspended mix food to return pump section every half an hour from 8 am to 9 pm. For sure I have algae problem but it’s getting better.

Good part is purple queens are eating pellets now but I still like to broadcast food since their social structure making alpha anthias eating too much and lower end anthias tend to starving.

I brought some sunset anthias and red saddled anthias. They fit in the first day in tank.

Princess anthias is my next one but I couldn’t find anywhere has it.
 
I don't think my LFS cares much about Purple Queen Anthias and Purple Anthias(anthias pascalus). I have never seen them eating at my LFS. Most time they put other species of fish with them and they are stressed. I always anticipate 50% fatality rate so I bought their entire batch, normally 6-8. Now I end up having 5 Purple anthias and 3 purple queens.
 
BTW cyclops can be hard to find in Reef stores, but fresh water stores carry them readily. I used to go to Petco to get them!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top