Purple torch loosing color, possible brown jelly?

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2018
Messages
54
Reaction score
58
Location
Portland
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this torch approx 3 weeks ago. When I got it it was deep purple with white tips. Brought it home, Bayer dip and temp acclimated, and placed it in a medium flow spot on the bottom of the tank. Within a week the color loss was noticeable, now it's justalarming.

Tried moving it up halfway in the tank thinking it might've needed more light. I have two frogspawn at the top with great color and seem happy, so I figured that might be a good idea but it hasn't helped.

Running a single AI Prime over a Nuvo 20 (settings below). I don't feel as though I'm overpowering the tank.

Last night the torch expelled a fair amount of what I assume is zooxanthellae (from stress?). Now I'm seeing brown around the edges of the coral (especially in the middle where it branches).

Moved the torch to get a pic of the back side and noticed a fairly large growth there, ID help anyone?



SG- 1.026

NO3- 10 (salifert)

PO4- less than .05 (seachem)

Don't currently test for alk, etc. water changes of 20% weekly

Any advice please?

IMG_9443.JPG


IMG_9446.JPG


IMG_9447.PNG
 
Bought this torch approx 3 weeks ago. When I got it it was deep purple with white tips. Brought it home, Bayer dip and temp acclimated, and placed it in a medium flow spot on the bottom of the tank. Within a week the color loss was noticeable, now it's justalarming.

Tried moving it up halfway in the tank thinking it might've needed more light. I have two frogspawn at the top with great color and seem happy, so I figured that might be a good idea but it hasn't helped.

Running a single AI Prime over a Nuvo 20 (settings below). I don't feel as though I'm overpowering the tank.

Last night the torch expelled a fair amount of what I assume is zooxanthellae (from stress?). Now I'm seeing brown around the edges of the coral (especially in the middle where it branches).

Moved the torch to get a pic of the back side and noticed a fairly large growth there, ID help anyone?



SG- 1.026

NO3- 10 (salifert)

PO4- less than .05 (seachem)

Don't currently test for alk, etc. water changes of 20% weekly

Any advice please?

IMG_9443.JPG


IMG_9446.JPG


IMG_9447.PNG

Your white intensity seems way too much. I run mine at 35 with blue at 90 and RB at 100. What kinds of lights was it under before you bought it?
 
Bought it from a reputable LPS that I think runs Kessils over his frag tanks.

Have the whites up there mostly because visually I don't like my tank too blue. My other corals (2 frogspawn, wall hammer and a Duncan) all seem to be okay with it so I let it be.

Should mention the tanks still very young- got it wet beginning of April, and that I was told this was an Aussie torch.
 
Bought it from a reputable LPS that I think runs Kessils over his frag tanks.

Have the whites up there mostly because visually I don't like my tank too blue. My other corals (2 frogspawn, wall hammer and a Duncan) all seem to be okay with it so I let it be.

Should mention the tanks still very young- got it wet beginning of April, and that I was told this was an Aussie torch.

I still think too much white is causing the bleaching. If it was a water thing then your other corals would be affected too. The parts that I circled are getting direct lighting. I would move it towards the bottom and spot feed.

6CFDF1CC-A000-4864-AC04-26F36B32DAD8.jpeg
 
I'll dial down the whites. It's already been moved to the bottom. Do those look like vermetid snails? Already glued over the top of them just in case.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top