QT for fish cube tank or frag shallow tank?

reelredfisah

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2019
Messages
111
Reaction score
50
Location
DFW
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to my space issues I am trying to figure out what will work for me.

Has anyone used a frag tank for a fish QT? Of course with a net top.
 
You can't really medicate fish with coral in the tank, other than just observing them and getting acclimated to feeding / light cycles. I hold some fish in my frag system till the dedicated QT tanks are done with some times. For instance I have two Wheeler's prawn gobies in my coral system right now because the copper tank is occupied with my two fairy wrasse. I can't dose anything for treating those gobies so they're basically just eating like pigs and stalling my fallow period.
 
Maybe I worded it wrong no coral involved here. I am asking about the tank. So yes a frag tank with no frags.
 
So you're asking just about the profile of the tank? It won't really matter other than evaporation will be higher with more water surface area.
 
Correct and thanks everyone for feedback.
 
So my two waterbox 10G cubes arrived today. Now I am trying to figure out what meds to order.

There are so many posts about QT its hard to follow or even know whats changed.

I know I was wanting to do like the 14 day method then move them to tank two and do the other half. Ut not sure how to start it and with what meds and tests I need to order?
 
If you are space constrained, a 5 gallon bucket, internal filter, and a heater is all you need for quarantine. Better yet, get two of each and do the tank transfer method to insure your fish is free from ich.
 
So my two waterbox 10G cubes arrived today. Now I am trying to figure out what meds to order.

There are so many posts about QT its hard to follow or even know whats changed.

I know I was wanting to do like the 14 day method then move them to tank two and do the other half. Ut not sure how to start it and with what meds and tests I need to order?
@Humblefish is probably one of the best resources for this. Here is the link to one of his threads on what to keep on hand.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/

As for the use of the frag tank as the QT, there is no reason why not. Like Kyl said the evaporation will be higher on the frag tank, so unless you have an ATO on it, you may have more fluctuations in water level and thus fluctuations in the concentration of medications without it. This would be particularly worrisome if you are using copper.
 
Thanks as mentioned my two waterbox AIO 10G cubes arrived today. So the tank part is done now ready to finish it out.
 
Well not as planned one tank is good the other is shattered looks like UPS dropped it on a corner. Just my luck, guess now I will have at least another week. Depending on how long it takes water box to take care of it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top