Question regarding green algae, lighting, and an aquarium restart.

Raymond Gathright

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
42
Location
Greenville, TX.
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into some health issues back in the fall. Unfortunately, my poor aquarium paid a heavy toll for it. I'm recovered somewhat, and I have some help with the maintenance, so I'm good there.
I was able to reuse the water in the tank, which has helped jump start the cycling process. No one freak out, I'm not about to go throwing in fish, corals, or inverts after only two weeks... I'm patient. The problem is I was so sick I didn't even think about my tank, including turning off the lights. So, there was quite a bit of green algae. I got rid of as much as I could, but I knew it would be an issue one way or the other.
I've thought about using API's Marine Algae Control until it's under control enough for my refugium to gain traction... I just hate putting chemicals like that in my aquarium, even if they do say they're safe for the critters.
Here's my thought: What if I were to turn off my lights and cover the glass with towels or tin foil or something to completely darken the inside of the tank for a week or two? Then pick up a good cuc and if my parameters remain good a tang or urchin or ??? Additionally, this would allow me to get my fug up and going with some grassaleria (sp?). I'm also thinking about getting a couple of mangroves and running out the back of my DT. Has anyone had any luck with that?
Let me know what you think. Like I said, I'd rather not use the API. I know people have used it with success, and have had no problems. But..............
BTW: 75 gallon Main Display with a 30 gallon refugium. ReefOctopus 1000 HOB Protein Skimmer and a Canister filter... blanked right now on which one...
Thanks, Raymond
 
Hi Raymond,

A complete black out sounds like a great idea, but you need to address the water quality issue.
I would try to manually remove what you can, let it settle out and do a significant water change.
Add some PhosGuard as well to the system and some basic charcoal.

Proceed with the Cuc afterwards.

Tank cleaning and maintenance always makes me feel better, glad you're on the road to recovery.

:-)
 
Hi Raymond,

A complete black out sounds like a great idea, but you need to address the water quality issue.
I would try to manually remove what you can, let it settle out and do a significant water change.
Add some PhosGuard as well to the system and some basic charcoal.

Proceed with the Cuc afterwards.

Tank cleaning and maintenance always makes me feel better, glad you're on the road to recovery.

:)
Thanks Tahoe. It's good to have the confirmation that I'm on the right track. I'll darken it tomorrow and turn the lights off. I'll pick up some PhosGuard as well. I'm running charcoal currently, but I have another place I can add some so I may do that until things settle down a bit. I'll give it a few weeks... maybe a month and see how things are fairing.
What do you figure, 20-25 percent water change?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top