Quick Help with New Fish - High Ammonia in Shipping Bag

Beastie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Looking for some quick help.

I received 4 fish today. Convict tang, powder blue tang, hippo tang and swallowtail.
Out of the 4, 2 (hippo and convict) had really high ammonia in the bag to the point the fish were swimming upside-down and breathing heavy.

First thing I did was get those two fish out of the bag water and into a bucket with good tank water. (ph was off slightly, and so was salinity) I figured this was better than trying to drip acclimate them.

I have an air pump running in the bucket. the convict tang is starting to swim around, but the hippo is laying on the bottom breathing heavy.

Anything else I can do?
 
Methylene Blue or Malachite Green is great for treating ammonia burn. Use about 1/2 teaspoon in a 5 gallon bucket. Looks like even Wally World may have it (I'd call first before you deal with that mess :p): http://www.walmart.com/ip/48186437?...3814554&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=177089331634&veh=sem

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.
 
Quick thinking. Hopefully they recover. Good advice from Dr. Fish there. Good luck and keep us posted!
 
Thanks for the reply.

Wally World by me doesn't carry it. Looking elsewhere

Petco/smart probably sells a product containing Methylene Blue. Even if it has to wait until tomorrow, I would still give the fish exposed to the high ammonia a 1 hour bath in it to help heal their gills. But if the ammonia has already reached their internal organs, those fish are toast and will likely die in 2-3 days.
 
Hello All,

Looking for some quick help.

I received 4 fish today. Convict tang, powder blue tang, hippo tang and swallowtail.
Out of the 4, 2 (hippo and convict) had really high ammonia in the bag to the point the fish were swimming upside-down and breathing heavy.

First thing I did was get those two fish out of the bag water and into a bucket with good tank water. (ph was off slightly, and so was salinity) I figured this was better than trying to drip acclimate them.

I have an air pump running in the bucket. the convict tang is starting to swim around, but the hippo is laying on the bottom breathing heavy.

Anything else I can do?
Keep in mind the higher the ph the more toxic ammonia is so if yi
Our going to drip them keep taking out a cup of water constantly
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top