- Joined
- Jul 29, 2017
- Messages
- 1,125
- Reaction score
- 1,490
- Location
- New York
- What state or country do you live in
- New York
I need to order a new pump today. I have a temporary one that will get me through a few days, but the flow has been terrible since I set up the inline nitrate pellet reactor. What brand and what size should I get? My sump is not drilled, so it has to be a submersible. The chamber for the pump is narrow, so it can't be too big. I can't find my ruler, but I'd say it's about 5" wide.
Here are some specs and pictures of my sump connections:
40 gal glass tank (standard size) with about 5" wide pump chamber
About 5 ft head to top of the tank and another 6' of head horizontally running inside stand above sump not including elbows or Ts
Inline nitrate pellet reactor (newly installed and the cause of my flow issues)
two 45 degree elbows at returns
one 45 degree T elbow on pump
one 45 degree T elbow on pellet reactor to main PVC tank line and a 45 degree connection on both intake and outtake of the pellet reactor itself
I think that's all of them. I do have an unused 45 degree T in case I want to hook up something else later.
Sorry about the messy tank pics. It's tank maintenance day (weekends) but I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning the sump area and I haven't quite figured out how to clean the 2 side chambers as they are so deep and narrow. In addition, the skimmer has it's own pump, but it's been over skimming since treating for spirulina weeks ago and causing a lot of salt creep...even after two water changes of 25% and two at 40%).
Suggestions for pump model and make please! I am horrible at math and figuring out flow and proper pump size. I don't want to rely just on a manufacturer or seller to advise me.
Thank you!
Here are some specs and pictures of my sump connections:
40 gal glass tank (standard size) with about 5" wide pump chamber
About 5 ft head to top of the tank and another 6' of head horizontally running inside stand above sump not including elbows or Ts
Inline nitrate pellet reactor (newly installed and the cause of my flow issues)
two 45 degree elbows at returns
one 45 degree T elbow on pump
one 45 degree T elbow on pellet reactor to main PVC tank line and a 45 degree connection on both intake and outtake of the pellet reactor itself
I think that's all of them. I do have an unused 45 degree T in case I want to hook up something else later.
Sorry about the messy tank pics. It's tank maintenance day (weekends) but I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning the sump area and I haven't quite figured out how to clean the 2 side chambers as they are so deep and narrow. In addition, the skimmer has it's own pump, but it's been over skimming since treating for spirulina weeks ago and causing a lot of salt creep...even after two water changes of 25% and two at 40%).
Suggestions for pump model and make please! I am horrible at math and figuring out flow and proper pump size. I don't want to rely just on a manufacturer or seller to advise me.
Thank you!
Last edited:


