Radion XR15 G4 Pro or G5 Blue

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
2,275
Location
Switzerland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

I am willing to upgrade my AI Prime HD for a Radion.

However, I have to opportunity to pick up a g4 pro or a g5 blue.

I am a fan of blue tanks but usually I enjoy a full blue and fluorescent tank at night and during day I love a normal blueish look.

So what path would you guys go?

The g4 would be the one running with Mobius.

Please help me :)

Tank is a 18“ cube and SPS / Acro dominant.
 
I was looking at this too, my LFS suggested blue cause my tank has coral. I think that's why they said to go with blue.
 
If you like the look of bluer tanks go with the g5 blue. It’s much to blue for my taste but many people use and love them.
 
If you like the look of bluer tanks go with the g5 blue. It’s much to blue for my taste but many people use and love them.
But the G4 Pro can also used „blue“ or am I wrong? I am using an AI Prime HD atm. Is it so much different?
 
G5 blue all the way. Replaced my AI Hydras with these and love it. Makes programming much easier and for the most part you turn down the whites so what is really the point. Lots of programming options but the Mobius AB+ is the 'Easy Button'
 
I use 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues, and to me they are not that blue. They are more focused on those that are looking at using the AB+ specturm, and thus, are able to get more par as a result.

A G4 Pro running the AB+ spectrum will have lower par readings than a G5 Blue running the AB+ because the G5 Blue has more blue leds.

2022 with filter.jpg
 
There are couple more things to consider. G5 (pro or blue) can be mounted much closer to the waterline. Whereas G4 has to be mounted much higher to achieve similar spread.
 
You can make the gen 4 pro, blue too.
Just do a custom program.
I just got a xr15 pro ( would have preferred a non pro ).
I set my program up as the High Growth template.
Then one it showed up on the graph ( in ESL) I clicked on the 2 high points and changed the color to a 20k program.
Pretty easy using ESL on my computer.
 
I own 4 blues, I’d happily trade for the pros to be honest. Unless you’re running at 100% intensity you can soon tune the AB+ on the pros. Having additional flexibility is appealing
 
G5 Pro vs G5 Blue i would pick the Pro because of the more flexibility but in your case it's G4 Pro vs G5 Blue and then i would pick the latter because of the better spread.
 
I use 5 Radion XR15 G5 Blues, and to me they are not that blue. They are more focused on those that are looking at using the AB+ specturm, and thus, are able to get more par as a result.

A G4 Pro running the AB+ spectrum will have lower par readings than a G5 Blue running the AB+ because the G5 Blue has more blue leds.

2022 with filter.jpg
That’s a lot of light for a FOWLR system. Jkn. Tangs look great.
 
I have thought about trading my blue for pro (mostly out of curiosity). However I would be loosing two channels and as per reef builders, they see better color in SPS with the blues.

I also have not seen any tanks that run G5 pro in person. Hence don’t really know how different the look is.
 
I have thought about trading my blue for pro (mostly out of curiosity). However I would be loosing two channels and as per reef builders, they see better color in SPS with the blues.

I also have not seen any tanks that run G5 pro in person. Hence don’t really know how different the look is.

Do you run yours at 100% all channels w/ full intensity though? I'm in the same boat and am fairly confident that they way most of us run these lights (lower overall intensity) the Pro can be set to match the Blues.
 
Do you run yours at 100% all channels w/ full intensity though? I'm in the same boat and am fairly confident that they way most of us run these lights (lower overall intensity) the Pro can be set to match the Blues.
I run all channels at 100% (AB+ on G5 Blue) and overall intensity at 84%. Will finish ramping up to 90% by end of this month. Acros did just fine at 80%, but I am increasing par to get more light towards the edges.

My tank is new and had its own troubles. I can only definitely say if things work or not in about another 3-4 months.
 
I run all channels at 100% (AB+ on G5 Blue) and overall intensity at 84%. Will finish ramping up to 90% by end of this month. Acros did just fine at 80%, but I am increasing par to get more light towards the edges.

My tank is new and had its own troubles. I can only definitely say if things work or not in about another 3-4 months.

How hot are your center "hot spots" as far as par? Part of the reason I ended up flipping mine parallel, couldn't get edge par without super high PAR in the center. I think 80% intensity is a sweet spot, which gives headroom in a Pro to balance.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top