Red centipede-like worms in my sump tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ral3xx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ral3xx

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2019
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can someone please advise what these centipede-like worms in my sump/refugium tank are? I just discovered them yesterday for the first time. Are these bristle worms? Should I be worried about? Should these worms be removed from the tank? How would they have gotten in my tank? I am doing biweekly water changes and the last addition to my refugium was some chaeto algae about 1.5-2 months ago.

Thank you and I appreciate any help and advices in advance.

62687D69-92A8-4167-AF15-034174E9F8F4.jpeg E10A2CFC-7EDC-4B68-8B60-652AFF57B857.jpeg
 
That is a bristle worm. They are detrivores and some people like to have them while others try to eradicate them. What ever you decide, don't touch it as it can deliver a painful sting from those hairs.
 
Yes, that's a bristle worm. Chances are it was a hitchhiker, possibly in your cheato. I have a ton in my tank, they do not cause any problems. In most cases they are just another part of your clean up crew. It's almost impossible to avoid getting them. I'd say leave them be. Fire worms are similar and those are the ones you want to try to avoid.
 
That's where they belong. I don't allow them in my tanks, but sump ok.
 
Bristleworm.. good clean up crew member but be careful I used to get stung by them all the time when handling rocks and corals in my tank...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top