Red Growth on Regal Angel Chin

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
1,071
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal Angel has recently developed a red growth on its chin. I've had the regal for about 2 weeks, still in QT. Is it an abscess, tumor, or a bacterial infection? His behavior is normal, in fact he is eating more aggressively as of late.

IMG_20180118_171132.jpg IMG_20180118_171133.jpg IMG_20180118_171241.jpg IMG_20180118_171251.jpg IMG_20180118_171255.jpg
 
Could possibly be lymphocystis. A viral infection. No cure :( but not fatal. Just keep it fed and happy. or if its at the bottom of the gill opening is it a swollen gill? #reefsquad any other thoughts or ideas if i'm wrong :)
 
Have seen similar on clownfish before, and it typically turns out to be a bacterial infection. Kanaplex + Metroplex usually clears it up.
I'd give the Kana/Metro a shot. You have nothing to lose while the fish is QT'd and it may very well solve the issue. A few years ago I had a Pygmy Angel with a similar growth on it's side and the tx worked. Good luck. Gorgeous fish!!!!
 
Thanks all! I like the slight misbar on the regal.

I just started the 2nd dose of Prazi a day ago (~24 hours). Should I wait and/or do a water change before starting Kanaplex/Metro? If I want to combine the two as a bath, should I get a cup of tank water, mix in the Kanaplex and Metro, and then pour it in? Should I follow the dosage instructions on the box (Kanaplex - 1 scoop per 5 gallons and Metroplex 1-2 scoops per 10 g repeated every 48 hours)?
 
I agree that it’s a bacterial infection. I would dose antibiotics ASAP, they can take in excess of 10-14 days to improve marginally. This is a very fragile fish, any ailment can cause it to stop feeding.

Prazi is mostly gone from the water column within 48 hours if I recall. I’d just dose, and make sure you have either a powerhead aimed at the surface or a bubbler, because mixing meds (and meds in general) reduce the oxygen saturation of the water.
 
Keep in mind antibiotics can have a negative effect on your bacterial colony's so stay on top of ammonia levels. Test often! You could go with an ammonia badges, but I don't really trust them as I got a bad one and almost crashed my QT.
 
I've done 3 doses of kanaplex/metroplex 48 hours apart. Not sure if the growth has improved, but behavior and feeding are still normal. Should I continue to dose up to 10 days even though the instructions on the box say to only dose 3 times?
 
I've done 3 doses of kanaplex/metroplex 48 hours apart. Not sure if the growth has improved, but behavior and feeding are still normal. Should I continue to dose up to 10 days even though the instructions on the box say to only dose 3 times?

Yes, 10-14 days of continuous antibiotic treatment for infections.
 
I'm on Day 11 of dosing Kanaplex/Metro. Not sure if anything has improved. Behavior and feeding have all been fine. If it stays the same at Day 14, should I try anything else? Or would it be okay to put into the DT at this point?

IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
 
Lympho is possible, but I personally wouldn't introduce him into the DT until that has cleared. At this point, I would do a large WC/run carbon to pull all the meds out of the water and start food soaking vitamins: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

You can also dose Vitamin C into the water. I would also feed foods which contain probiotics - such as LRS.
 
So I shouldn't keep dosing until Day 14?

I've been soaking food in Selcon and feeding LRS since Day 1.
 
So I shouldn't keep dosing until Day 14?

I think I would just stop. If you were to resume antibiotic treatment, I would go with something completely different like a sulfa-based drug.

But for now I think it's best to give him clean water, plenty of vitamins/probiotics, and let's see if his natural immune system can fight this off.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top