Red hollow thing with hole and "eyelashes"

tranceFusion

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
90
Reaction score
36
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red blob seems to be hollow. It has a hole with hair around it that look like eyelashes. It closes up if a crab or snail crawls over it.

IMG_3828.thumb.JPG.6a9b675b9406f866e17af15b9872c0a4.jpeg
 
Some kind of tube worm, feather duster. Or maybe a barnacle?
 
Either way it should be a harmless filter feeder. Can you post a video of it in action?
 
A barnacle is a very weird crustacean that lives in a shell and sticks out a filter-feeding appendage at times and are harmless filter feeders. Do note that most barnacles in captivity will die due to not being able to feed enough.
 
I do not think it is a barnacle. It doesn’t have a hard shell and I’ve never seen anything inside the hole. It came on my Florida live rock that I’ve had for about 4-5 months. It’s hard to get a good picture of it because it lives in the dark under a ledge. I was able to get a pic when I moved the rock temporarily. It seemed to grow for a while but lately I think it is injured because a spaghetti work and in the rock above keeps spitting junk onto it which attracts my crabs to crawl on top of it and pick at it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top