Red Sea Colors in ATO water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kurtp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

kurtp

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2018
Messages
194
Reaction score
318
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Red Sea Colors minor elements based on the two part calcium consumption discussed on the BRS TV video. So far I have seen a positive response in my tank and want to continue. I have been adding the 4 solutions into my sump every other night but I'll be leaving on a 2 week vacation next week and I am trying to think of ways to lighten the burden for my kids who will be taking care of the tank. I was wondering if I could add the 2 week's worth of the RSC solutions into the 5 gallons of ATO water. My current calcium consumption is pretty low so I only would be putting about 8 mls of each solution into the 5 gallons of RODI water. I don't think they would precipitate out at such a weak dilution and that it would provide a nice steady source of the elements. Is my logic sound? Does any one else do it this way?
 
I love the Red Sea colors program.

But have always played it on the safe side to the cal's intake.

I'd just stop ;Stop dosing them until your get back from your two week vacation.

JMO... :)
 
thanks for the advice. I had sent an ICP sample to Triton a few weeks ago to get an idea where I was at but it got lost in the mail to the USA hub and I had to resubmit a new specimen last week. Hopefully I'll get the result before I leave town. Unless a specific minor element is drastically low I'll probably just skip the dosing while I am gone but I may reconsider it when I get back. It seems that letting the ATO run a little of the RSC solutions in to the tank along with the RODI water would be a good way to spread the doses out. I can't foresee any major problem doing it this way other than perhaps a SLOW climb in SG, but it would be best if I tried this experiment while Im around in case things start going south.
 
Dikutuon of trace elements doesn’t always work out. Many are prone to oxidation and the more dilute it is, the greater percentage of, say, iron might be oxidized from a more soluble ferrous form to a less soluble ferric form. I’m not sure how they formulate it or if this a real concern, but it is more complicated than diluting a calcium or alk solution.
 
Dikutuon of trace elements doesn’t always work out. Many are prone to oxidation and the more dilute it is, the greater percentage of, say, iron might be oxidized from a more soluble ferrous form to a less soluble ferric form. I’m not sure how they formulate it or if this a real concern, but it is more complicated than diluting a calcium or alk solution.
Thanks, Randy. I didn't realize that could be an issue. I'll just stick with my regular dosing schedule once I get back from vacation.
 
Not to your question, but perhaps to you immediate need, I've pre-measured things for tank keepers in the past. With small volumes the weekly pill containers work well. When I used pellet food it was one day per day. With traces it could be one entire pill container per day. Really easy for the sitter, up to 7 isolated containers, pop them all open, dump it in, carry on. Since the main bottles are hidden they can't overdose.
At $1-2 per 7-day pill container buying a week or twos worth doesn't break the bank.
 
Not to your question, but perhaps to you immediate need, I've pre-measured things for tank keepers in the past. With small volumes the weekly pill containers work well. When I used pellet food it was one day per day. With traces it could be one entire pill container per day. Really easy for the sitter, up to 7 isolated containers, pop them all open, dump it in, carry on. Since the main bottles are hidden they can't overdose.
At $1-2 per 7-day pill container buying a week or twos worth doesn't break the bank.
Well, durn. That's a great idea. Off to the dollar store I go.
Thanks
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top