Red Sea Mature Starter Kit issue with water values

UPDATE tests with Hanna Checkers:

DKH: 11.9
PH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0.87ppm (how is that possible?) With a normal colour test, this morning seemed 2 ppm!
Nitrate: 48.4ppm
Nitrite ULR: Seems the nitrite level is higher than 200ppB (0,02ppm) and therefore it doesn't show. I should have taken the LR.

Any thoughts?
Retest now or test again tomorrow.
 
UPDATE tests with Hanna Checkers:


Ammonia: 0.87ppm (how is that possible?) With a normal colour test, this morning seemed 2 ppm!


Any thoughts?

I believe that the Hanna Ammonia checker measures Free ammonia (NH3) whilst the Red Sea Test shows Total Ammonia (NH3+NH4).
 
I believe that the Hanna Ammonia checker measures Free ammonia (NH3) whilst the Red Sea Test shows Total Ammonia (NH3+NH4).
It says on the instruction: • The instrument displays the ammonia/ammonium concentration in ppm NH3. What is that mean? Cause on the checker itself is written: "ppm nh3/nh4+ as you can see from the picture below.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 21.28.25.png
 
The instrument displays the ammonia/ammonium concentration in ppm NH3. What is that mean? Cause on the checker itself is written: "ppm nh3/nh4+ as you can see from the picture below.
Ignore the NH3 part, that's accounting details. It measures total ammonia NH3+NH4.
 
It says on the instruction: • The instrument displays the ammonia/ammonium concentration in ppm NH3. What is that mean? Cause on the checker itself is written: "ppm nh3/nh4+ as you can see from the picture below.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 21.28.25.png

My mistake. It's a silycylate test so it tests Total Ammonia.
I was confusing it with another tester.
 
No, worries, all good!

I just measured again Ammonia now it's: 0.69ppm :D

So it decreased by about 0.19ppm in 12 hours!
 
Quick update for the ones following the discussion:

Ammonia: 0ppm (First day reading 0) :D
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 35ppm
Ph: 8.0
Dkh: 11.9
S: 1024
T: 24 C
 
*Mistake Nitrate are sky-high: 67,5ppm. Is that normal?

Should I start adding Nopox?
 
Thanks for the tip!

Should I wait first the Nitrite to go down to complete the cycle?
 
Thanks for the tip!

Should I wait first the Nitrite to go down to complete the cycle?
No, there is no need to worry about Nitrite. In fact the Nitrite is probably making Nitrate appear higher than it really is.

With Ammonia is down to zero, you can add a snail if there is algae and a small fish or two.
 
Another idea could be to drop in my tank "Clear FX Pro All-In-One". What do you guys think?

Even tho on the Red Sea reef mature pro kit instructions day 1 it says: "Do not use a de-nitrification system or any nitrate or phosphate removing materials".
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top