Red Sea Overflow leaking at the bulkhead. Is there a fix?

DavidBearWeber

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
38
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank. 425 RS. Overflow is leaking. Another post I read said Red Sea thinks silicone is bad and just do it your self or wait three weeks for the parts. Anyone used silicone to fix? I would assume you would silicone the area, at the bulkhead, inside the cabinet?
 
Mine leaked a while ago and it turned out to be the orings, they made upgraded o-rings that are red. That fixed my problem.
 
Don’t silicone anything. Did you assemble everything or was it done for you? There are O rings that might be rolled or torn. You can find similar replacement O rings at Ace or true value hardware stores. Also make sure you assembled all the pipes tightly Too.
 
In assembling pipes, when tightening them down you should hear 3-4 clicks of the ratchet teeth engaging. I did this on my E-260 and haven't had any issues. With this engagement, you can't take them apart without breaking the pipe.
 
Don’t silicone anything. Did you assemble everything or was it done for you? There are O rings that might be rolled or torn. You can find similar replacement O rings at Ace or true value hardware stores. Also make sure you assembled all the pipes tightly Too.

+1

@DavidBearWeber - @AZMSGT has had experience with this on a Red Sea tank so his advice is definitely worth listening to on this issue. I would also second the comment about not using silicone. Good luck!
 
In assembling pipes, when tightening them down you should hear 3-4 clicks of the ratchet teeth engaging.

+1 this is the way to tell if your pipes are fully seated.
 
I had the same bud,
order a full oring kit, it’s only £7 and change them all, turn the return pump off, let the dt water drain down then take a bucket load extra from the dt and siphon the weir out then you can change them.
dont over tighten them,
20191221_100007.jpg
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top