Red Sea, Sea Salt SPS dominant question?

It’s a brand new setup , no life at all ....
there will be plenty of ugly stages to come shortly after you start adding life .
I agree with above ..
stability is key , set the temp at proper temp and maintain it at that .
fluctuations are never good .

Purchase a few test kits .
nitrates , phosphates , ammonia and ph .
along with a good refractometer for checking salinity .

alk , mag , cal are not needed yet as water changes will maintain those levels for a little while .
Keep it simple ..

I recently found in here “ the 12 commandments of reefing” on here .
 
I have mixed my RedSea Salt with R/O water to 1.026 ppm it is on 3rd day. The aquarium is 30 gallons sealed and zero livestock, lids and all equipment are running. How long before the water becomes crystal clear like my adjacent tank that is 3 months up and super crystal clear? I can see that there is a slight haze of cloudy in there, I am running RedSea carbon. Just curious since I have never used this type of salt and have heard that it has a lot of calcium carbonate that sticks to equipment and glass/acrylic but not to worry it is harmless to corals/fish etc.
Have you started the cycle yet?
 
What's the salinity at currently. By have do you mean a visible opaque value, or more of a translucent swirly type visual? If it's the later, it could be the salt working it's way I to the water.
Wow! I would have to google both visible opaque and translucent swirly type and then answer.
 
Okay went to my LFS where I purchased the salt and he tested my water. I have .02 phosphate and salinity was 1.023 on hos refractometer my Hanna digital after calibration read 1.025.

He said hard to trust vending machine that do carbon, RO, UV and carbon again.

He said they do RO/DI and that vending machines don't do the DI.

I pocked up what he recommended I try, so I came home and added Seachem.

It got more cloudy and says that means it is working so I will check back in 1-2 hours as that is what ot takes to see it clear up.
 

Attachments

  • 20210425_192159_HDR.jpg
    20210425_192159_HDR.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210425_194116.jpg
    20210425_194116.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
Here is a short video showing how clear the RO water from vending machine at Publix supermarket. This is water being added 1 day before I mixed the Red Sea Salt

 
Okay went to my LFS where I purchased the salt and he tested my water. I have .02 phosphate and salinity was 1.023 on hos refractometer my Hanna digital after calibration read 1.025.

He said hard to trust vending machine that do carbon, RO, UV and carbon again.

He said they do RO/DI and that vending machines don't do the DI.

I pocked up what he recommended I try, so I came home and added Seachem.

It got more cloudy and says that means it is working so I will check back in 1-2 hours as that is what ot takes to see it clear up.
Prior to starting cycle. .
I wouldn’t use chemi ..

Start the cycle and let it mature .....
why strip bacteria that you essentially want to colonize .
 
Here is a comparison between my 12 gallon clear tank and then the 30 gallon, it should be crystal clear after 2 days of Red Sea salt dissolving and mixing. It is hard to see but look at the black shoes in the background and you will see the haze. On the original video you can really see it.

 
Prior to starting cycle. .
I wouldn’t use chemi ..

Start the cycle and let it mature .....
why strip bacteria that you essentially want to colonize .
I know, I am not going to add chemipure in this tank, not yet. I am going to run reef carbon because it is odd that I have this cloud from clear RO water, did you see the first video which is super clear. One day later I add the Red Sea Salt, and I understand it should be cloudy since I added the salt, but 2 days later, I have never seen a haze color twirling in the flow, it is hard to see in the video but it is there. So, I am wanting to see if the Clarity from Seachem will help. Nothing has been added on top of the Clarity liquid.
 
There are a multitude of misconceptions here - that are not going to be changed. Good luck
 
IMO, a likely possibility is that it is the normal fine particles of calcium carbonate that form with many salt mixes, and there is nothing being used to filter them out our any place to let them settle out.
 
IMO, a likely possibility is that it is the normal fine particles of calcium carbonate that form with many salt mixes, and there is nothing being used to filter them out our any place to let them settle out.
You sir are to be saluted for that answer and here is the video to prove what you just said!

Clarity and poly filter floss made my aquarium crystal clear.

The Clarity bounded with the cloudiness and made it into a thicker film and thus it became trapped in my poly filter floss.

End result was un unbelievable! This stuff works with the poly filter floss.

Here is the video to show you the gunk trapped in the poly filter floss.

 
You sir are to be saluted for that answer and here is the video to prove what you just said!

Clarity and poly filter floss made my aquarium crystal clear.

The Clarity bounded with the cloudiness and made it into a thicker film and thus it became trapped in my poly filter floss.

End result was un unbelievable! This stuff works with the poly filter floss.

Here is the video to show you the gunk trapped in the poly filter floss.

@Randy Holmes-Farley without a doubt knows what he’s talking about ...
 
You sir are to be saluted for that answer and here is the video to prove what you just said!

Clarity and poly filter floss made my aquarium crystal clear.

The Clarity bounded with the cloudiness and made it into a thicker film and thus it became trapped in my poly filter floss.

End result was un unbelievable! This stuff works with the poly filter floss.

Here is the video to show you the gunk trapped in the poly filter floss.

WAIT A MINUTE I SAID THAT A DAY AGO lol:). JKJJ - Randy is a total genius
 
Okay went to my LFS where I purchased the salt and he tested my water. I have .02 phosphate and salinity was 1.023 on hos refractometer my Hanna digital after calibration read 1.025.

He said hard to trust vending machine that do carbon, RO, UV and carbon again.

He said they do RO/DI and that vending machines don't do the DI.

I pocked up what he recommended I try, so I came home and added Seachem.

It got more cloudy and says that means it is working so I will check back in 1-2 hours as that is what ot takes to see it clear up.
Be careful with that store, they sold you 2 forms of carbon in reef spec and chemipure so it is a bit unnecessary. Prime was weird too if they have rodi, carbon, and it has barely even been started with no fish in the tank. Also i think carbon and the filter floss helped a ton as well as the clarity, I would prob be wary of it in the future if you have fish or corals because idk what the h is in it and they didnt list ingredients on their website which is strange.
Carbon and filter floss are great though, have you added bottled bacteria or live rock/sand yet?
 
Be careful with that store, they sold you 2 forms of carbon in reef spec and chemipure so it is a bit unnecessary. Prime was weird too if they have rodi, carbon, and it has barely even been started with no fish in the tank. Also i think carbon and the filter floss helped a ton as well as the clarity, I would prob be wary of it in the future if you have fish or corals because idk what the h is in it and they didnt list ingredients on their website which is strange.
Carbon and filter floss are great though, have you added bottled bacteria or live rock/sand yet?
The chemipure will be added to my other established tank, it is sealed in the container. I just added the Reef-Spec carbon, I like that stuff and I started using it in my other cycled tank. So, I placed some of it in the 30 gallon after I tossed out the Poly Fiber, man it had yellow/orange colored water seeping all over the place, as I lifted my media basket out to retrieve it and clean my block foams. When I took them to rinse, yellow/orange water emerged from it. I should have filmed to show all of you what this clarity stuff bonded to.

There are no fish/corals and my order from California is still pending, I am awaiting on my specimen Collectors Permit to be approved for me to purchase all the anemones I want from California.

So, I am just waiting to get the live sand from California coast, then I will drop the temp down to 55F when it arrives. But I was so skeptical of this New RedSea Salt when the cloudiness arrived and I didn't know what to do, so I posted here and well you saw what Randy said, so I don't have nothing more to worry about. Thread is done, and others can see what I went through.
 
Just wanted to put it out there because i dont like that they dont list ingredients on their site, and always want to be on the safe side and carbon never fails.
Interesting build going on, is it sps dominant or a california specific coldwater tank?
 
Just wanted to put it out there because i dont like that they dont list ingredients on their site, and always want to be on the safe side and carbon never fails.
Interesting build going on, is it sps dominant or a california specific coldwater tank?
Thanks for your support, I am finding this board, new to it, extremely helpful, beyond the need to even google the answer, I really mean that and I have been on a lot boards with reefing. Having said that, the system I am building is for cold water temperate 55F degrees to be exact. I have had them in the past but much smaller, a 2 gallon and a 6 gallon cold water system. This is my biggest at 30 gallons.

When I was in California it was so much easier to collect a little rock, gravel and then I ordered from a website that is no longer up, but now I am using another MATSU Collection, they are great!

But California has many restrictions into what we may have as a receiver from a collector, you need a SCP license permit and it is expensive and only good for 3 years, but you only need it once and hopefully during that three years you have brought in what you need to be successful I am excited and have a build here on just that build, for cold water operation.

I just bounce around my topics, when I get stuck, and I didn't know what specific gravity the Pacific Ocean is at and which salt to use, so RedSea which is high in a lot of elements came up, but when I got that murky cloudiness, I wasn't happy and I brought it here and it got addressed fast, with all of you supporting me!

You see this site is the boom! Love you guys/gals! :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top