Red Velvet Wrasse laying on sand.

Jbr2389

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
6
Location
Massapequa, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says recently I noticed my Red Velvet wrasse lying on the sand a lot and when he does swim he seems to have issues staying up. He drops down whenever he stops swimming. There's other fish in the tank and they are fine and none of my parameters are off so I don't believe that is an issue. He isn't breathing heavily either. My guess is a swim bladder problem though I'm not entirely sure. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
 
When he does swim does he use his tail or just his pectoral fins?
 
I've had him for about 6 months. He does use his pectoral fins when he swims. If it is a spinal injury would he heal or no?
 
I've had him for about 6 months. He does use his pectoral fins when he swims. If it is a spinal injury would he heal or no?
I've found about 1/3 of wrasses with spinal injuries heal, and 2/3 do not. If he is still eating that is a good sign.
 
I've found about 1/3 of wrasses with spinal injuries heal, and 2/3 do not. If he is still eating that is a good sign.
X2, I agree this sounds like a spinal injury. It's pretty common in fairy wrasse.
 
He still eats like normal so I'm hoping he recovers.

Do you think he wedged himself somewhere and that caused it? I'm just a little confused as to how it's common for fairy wrasses.
 
He still eats like normal so I'm hoping he recovers.

Do you think he wedged himself somewhere and that caused it? I'm just a little confused as to how it's common for fairy wrasses.
When they jump and hit a hard object is the most common cause.
 
When they jump and hit a hard object is the most common cause.
Or, on more rare occasions, dart into the sides of a (typically new and yet unfamiliar) tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top