Red vermetid snail looking things on my frogspawn coral?

reefo420

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2022
Messages
199
Reaction score
44
Location
Liverpool
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so i just got this coral from my LFS and it has some red things on it, is it just algae or something else?
20221030_161623.jpg
fro
 
Hey, so i just got this coral from my LFS and it has some red things on it, is it just algae or something else?
20221030_161623.jpg
fro
hydrothermal vents which are red tipped tube worms and do do not survive well if they lack a food source
 
hydrothermal vents which are red tipped tube worms and do do not survive well if they lack a food source
thank you for the answer, I'm very new to this, are they bad? and what won't survive? the coral or the worms? should I keep them on it?
 
thank you for the answer, I'm very new to this, are they bad? and what won't survive? the coral or the worms? should I keep them on it?
No, not harmful but can overtake skeleton. You can place frag in a small container of tank water and carefully scrape them off with edge of a paring knife
 
Do you have images under flashlight? My guess is harmless, filter-feeding benthic foraminifera, which should be hard to the touch. Sea sponges are squishier while Riftia pachyptila, the tube worm @vetteguy53081 is referring to, only occurs at great depth near hydrothermal vents and does not enter the trade. Reef tube worms are less irregular in shape.
 
Do you have images under flashlight? My guess is harmless, filter-feeding benthic foraminifera, which should be hard to the touch. Sea sponges are squishier while Riftia pachyptila, the tube worm @vetteguy53081 is referring to, only occurs at great depth near hydrothermal vents and does not enter the trade. Reef tube worms are less irregular in shape.
these red things on the coral? i'll take a better picture now and post it here
 
I thought foraminiferans at first but are generally sponge-like- not tube like however if these are hard and stony, may be Homotrema rubrum which emit a white fuzzy growth from the tips and too would be harmless.

Foraminiferan:

1667152840817.png
 
I thought foraminiferans at first but are generally sponge-like- not tube like however if these are hard and stony, may be Homotrema rubrum which emit a white fuzzy growth from the tips and too would be harmless.

Foraminiferan:

1667152840817.png
that's great! thank you, it is hard stony i was able to break some with my fingers so the mystery is solved!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top