Reef Aquarium Fact #78 Leave new corals alone!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
49,253
Reaction score
98,071
Seller Rating
4 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #78

When purchasing new corals try and find a good place to put them and then leave them alone. I've learned that when I moved new frags around alot they get less growth and are stressed more. Find a good spot and leave them along and let them grow.



Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)
 
I think true on this one. We should do our research first about what type of environment the particular coral we're interested in prefers, and find the place in our tank that best meets those requirements. So often we do things for the looks of the tank, and this can sacrifice getting the best growth out of the coral. These are living animals that deserve the best home we can provide them with. Moving them around in my experience is stressful to them as they are constantly having to adapt to a new environment around them. They can't move and so are at the mercy of the world around them. Moving is stressful for people to, so I say: do your research, place, and only move if absolutely necessary.
 
We initially place new corals lower in our tank to give them time to recover from the stress of shipping and adjust to our lighting.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top