Reef octopus 300sss or Nyos quantum 300 skimmer?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Messages
4,838
Reaction score
4,279
Location
Chicago
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my moderately stocked 450 gallon system is in need of a new skimmer. Was running a skims monster sm251 but the pump just dies and been obsolete for awhile now. So now I’m looking at one of these 2 skimmers the reef octopus I feel I like because it’s more popular and most would choose this because it’s been around longer and more known then the nyos skimmer. Now I like the nyos skimmer because it has 2 pumps just like my skimz did and I liked how well my skimz worked with the 2 pumps. Both are rated for about same size tanks how can the reef octopus do this with only 1 pump compaired to the nyos with 2. Both skimmers are about same price little over 1,000$ but price is not an issue. I do use an apex so reef octopus can connect to it but nyos does not only can be turned on and off. Well either way I’d love to hear others opinions. Thanks
 
Ran a nyos for a while and upgraded to an aquamaxx.

Nyos worked well but I felt it was rated too high for how it actually performed and was left wanted a larger Skimmer.

Love the Aquamaxx as it's a workhourse and out performs the nyos for at the same size rating.

When we started our 8'x 4' lagoon we went with a reef octo 300 and it's my favorite...it just works like crazy.

However it is limited to an old-school design.

Between the 2, for the size your looking at I'd go reef octo 300 for pure workhorse.

But if ypu want to add ozone and other things to your Skimmer, the nyos is an easier option for that.
 
depends on the build are you going to run a int or Ext, i like Ext reef oct recirculating better bang for the buck.
 
After doing few search’s my issue with nyos is again trying g to get replacement parts. It has 2 pumps and I can’t find where to buy needle wheel let alone a whole new pump if needed and we all know it will be needed
 
I have a Nyos Quantum 160 - love it. If you want to run ozone the Nyos is designed for it with oOne-safe polymers.
So they will be fine for ozone off the shelf is that what you are saying?
 
Yes. The only thing you will want to replace is the nylon screw in the silencer with a titanium one.
Oh cool I’m toying between 3 skimmers brands the Nyos 300 the Octo Elite 220 or 200sss and the aeraqua duo. I’d need 2 of each running a dual sump or extra large sump I’ve not seen a xlarge skimmer I like so working around it. I was leaning with the Nyos but saw an vid on the other 2 this morn and back to confused
 
Oh cool I’m toying between 3 skimmers brands the Nyos 300 the Octo Elite 220 or 200sss and the aeraqua duo. I’d need 2 of each running a dual sump or extra large sump I’ve not seen a xlarge skimmer I like so working around it. I was leaning with the Nyos but saw an vid on the other 2 this morn and back to confused
I can't speak to the other two models, but all the Nyos skimmers are ozone compatible.
 
I had the Nyos 120 and didn’t like it because it ran at one constant speed. Couldn’t adjust the motor so always skimmed at one rate. So it over skimmed when there was something to skim and then didn’t produce any skimmate until enough built back up. (Believe the Nyos 300 operates the same way.)

Have a Reef Octopus 150 SSS that I replaced the Nyos 120 with and love it. Adjustable DC motor that allows to dial-in perfectly. Produces skimmate all the time. Very easy to hook up CO2 scrubber - keeps my pH between 8.3 (night) & 8.5 (day). Quiet, efficient, & effective.

Good luck!
 
I had the Nyos 120 and didn’t like it because it ran at one constant speed. Couldn’t adjust the motor so always skimmed at one rate. So it over skimmed when there was something to skim and then didn’t produce any skimmate until enough built back up. (Believe the Nyos 300 operates the same way.)

Have a Reef Octopus 150 SSS that I replaced the Nyos 120 with and love it. Adjustable DC motor that allows to dial-in perfectly. Produces skimmate all the time. Very easy to hook up CO2 scrubber - keeps my pH between 8.3 (night) & 8.5 (day). Quiet, efficient, & effective.

Good luck!
Thanks very much . I’ve had difficulty locating parts for ‘just in case" type moments on the Nyos skimmer so I believe it’s out. I’m not sure whether it’s better to buy a slightly smaller skimmer or oversized in relation to system size.
 
Thanks very much . I’ve had difficulty locating parts for ‘just in case" type moments on the Nyos skimmer so I believe it’s out. I’m not sure whether it’s better to buy a slightly smaller skimmer or oversized in relation to system size.
Very important to buy properly sized skimmer for your aquarium size and needs. Otherwise it will have to overwork/underwork and not skim correctly.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top