Reef octopus "diablo" XS160 protein skimmer

tinctorus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
474
Reaction score
9
Location
South Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys does anyone have any experience with this protein skimmer?
I am going to be ordering a new skimmer for my tank soon to go into the sump I will be buying/making and I was originally going to go with the Avast Marine CS1 skimmer, however while browsing around today this Reef Octopus XS160 "Diablo" protein skimmer really caught my eye

Now I know Reef Octopus typically makes VERY high quality skimmers according to just about everyone, however I cant seem to find reviews on this particular skimmer ANYWHERE other than the little 2 line reviews that are posted on marine depot's website... This skimemr costs 259 which is only 60 bucks more than the CS1 skimmer I was originally looking at but I think it may be way better than 60 dollars better "I think that makes sense LOL"

So if people using this skimmer "either the new model with the Sicce PSK1000 or the old model with the PSK 2500" I would really appreciate it
Reef-Octopus-Extreme-8-Inch-XS200-(200-Gallon)-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-w-Gate-Valve-99.jpg
 
Like you said reef octopus skimmers are great skimmers and I once asked mojo about that one for my 75g and he gave me the thumbs up on it. However depending on your system specs one might be better then the other for your system. Also the xs160 comes with the psk600 not the 1000 and the avast is a little bit more money when you add the pump but it will handle a larger system. The skimmer you have pictured is the xs200 which has the psk1000 and is $325. The avast has gotten great reviews and is probably a better performing skimmer due to the fact that it is a full cone and has other features like the water exits through the bottom of the skimmer which is supposed to reduce turbulence for better skimming. I think if it were me I'd go with the avast but again it depends on your system specs.
 
Hmm ok, I guess I will do a bit more research before committing to one or the other since as you said they are both great quality skimmers, The other skimmer I was looking at is a bit more but it is the AquaC EV120 skimmer which also appears to be a great skimmer

The thing I like about the AquaC EV120 is that it gives you the option to run your effluent from your calcium reactor through it to "bubble out" the Co2 and bring the ph back up since the effluent from the reactor is at an obviously low ph from the Co2
 
I have the Diablo 160xs. Been running it for a couple of months now and couldn't be happier. It's on a 75 with 20g sump
 
Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this protein skimmer??
Or should I stick with the Avast Marine CS1 that I was also looking at?
 
I have the Diablo xs160 (not the one you have pictured). I've only had it a few weeks so it's still breaking in. I haven't made up my mind on this one until it starts putting out some serious skim (which from what I've read it will eventually end up doing). Here's what I think about it so far...

1. Wish it came with an outflow pipe. You'll have to make one with 1 1/4 inch PVC unless you want water splashing in your tank. The kit includes a metric to US adapter. Will cost only a few bucks.
2. It's noisy. I've been told it will quiet down after 3-4 weeks of use so I'll ride it out and see.
3. One of the intakes on the air silencer must be plugged to cut down on noise. Air silencer feels a bit cheap to me. I've thought about making my own from PVC.
4. The base of the skimmer and pump should have included something to cut vibration (silicone feet maybe). Going to give it a little time before I start modding.
 
Reef Octopus Diablo Skimmer Follow Up

Chaz-

Saw your post that you were going to wait it out on this skimmer. I too have this and it is new. Loud as can be. Sounds like a washing machine filling up with water. Did it ever quite down for you?

Ryan
 
I have the XS200....have had it running about a year. I also have an XS160, but haven't opened the box yet (bought for a project). I'm not sure how the two compare to one another, but here's my take on the 200...

PRO's

High Quality
Easy To Disassemble/Assemble For Cleaning
Seems To Do A Great Job At Skimming

CON's

Footprint Is Large Because Of The Pump & Outlet
Very Noisy (Seems To Come From Air Intake)
Outlet Design Is Kinda Crappy (Personal Opinion Maybe)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top