Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 4 Wave Pump - Glass Thickness

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigMax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

BigMax

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Messages
198
Reaction score
153
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") to use their dry side but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $820 they want for an MP60)

Anyone cross this bridge or have suggestions?
 
Last edited:
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $'s they want for an MP60)

Anyone cross this bridge or have suggestions?
I have these pumps and my tank glass is 3/4" thick. I bought these magnets from Amazon: Applied Magnets® 2.5" x 1/4" Grade N45 Neodymium Disc Magnet. I also bought a sheet of silicon rubber (Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Rubber Pad Sheet Thin Silicone Rubber Gasket Sheet 12X12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick) and adhered it to the side of the magnet that rests on the glass so they wouldn't slip. I then put the Octo Pulse magnet on the backside of the new ones. They have worked very well for me. I don't know whether they would be strong enough for 1" thick acrylic, but I know you can get stronger ones. If they don't have stronger ones on Amazon, you can do a Google search for rare earth magnets and there are several magnet specialty sites that have tones of different sized and strengths. Reef Octopus does make a stronger magnet ( REEF OCTOPUS Octo Pulse Extra Strong Outer Magnet Mount), but it's like $68 instead of the $30 that I paid.
 
I have these pumps and my tank glass is 3/4" thick. I bought these magnets from Amazon: Applied Magnets® 2.5" x 1/4" Grade N45 Neodymium Disc Magnet. I also bought a sheet of silicon rubber (Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Rubber Pad Sheet Thin Silicone Rubber Gasket Sheet 12X12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick) and adhered it to the side of the magnet that rests on the glass so they wouldn't slip. I then put the Octo Pulse magnet on the backside of the new ones. They have worked very well for me. I don't know whether they would be strong enough for 1" thick acrylic, but I know you can get stronger ones. If they don't have stronger ones on Amazon, you can do a Google search for rare earth magnets and there are several magnet specialty sites that have tones of different sized and strengths. Reef Octopus does make a stronger magnet ( REEF OCTOPUS Octo Pulse Extra Strong Outer Magnet Mount), but it's like $68 instead of the $30 that I paid.
Thanks very much .... I'll check it out
 
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") to use their dry side but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $820 they want for an MP60)

Anyone cross this bridge or have suggestions?
Reef octopus solution goes up to 0.83 and costs $69. I'd look into the Diy suggested above.

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top