Reef tank above an Auto body shop

cincyreef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2014
Messages
242
Reaction score
118
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm wondering what type of effects living above an auto body shop can have on a mixed reef tank, if any. I live in a small apartment that is directly above an auto body shop where they do all kinds of paint work. I can smell paint a lot of the time, but I never actually see overspray or anything like that.

Thanks,
Brent
 
My concern would be
1. Are they using a contained spray booth with all of the filtration required by the EPA?
2. If not, this would be very dangerous to your health not to mention a reef tank.
3. The paints and thinner used with automotive finishes is very toxic.
4 Now if they are using water based finishes not an issue to either you or the fish if you keep the windows closed when they are spraying.
5. I am very surprised that the city would allow a living space about a paint shop.
 
My concern would be
1. Are they using a contained spray booth with all of the filtration required by the EPA?
2. If not, this would be very dangerous to your health not to mention a reef tank.
3. The paints and thinner used with automotive finishes is very toxic.
4 Now if they are using water based finishes not an issue to either you or the fish if you keep the windows closed when they are spraying.
5. I am very surprised that the city would allow a living space about a paint shop.


I'm not sure what type of paint they use. They do have a spray booth, however I would bet $ it's not set up with the correct ventilation. There are times when my windows are open when they're spraying, but I try to limit that. I'm definitely concerned about my health as well. I'll likely be moving soon, but I have just been having a bacteria issue that I can't figure out. I am wondering if perhaps the fumes are contributing to the issue, or even causing it, as I can't think of what else it could be. I'm somewhat grasping at straws I guess. Thanks for the reply.
 
I'm not sure what type of paint they use. They do have a spray booth, however I would bet $ it's not set up with the correct ventilation. There are times when my windows are open when they're spraying, but I try to limit that. I'm definitely concerned about my health as well. I'll likely be moving soon, but I have just been having a bacteria issue that I can't figure out. I am wondering if perhaps the fumes are contributing to the issue, or even causing it, as I can't think of what else it could be. I'm somewhat grasping at straws I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Your welcome. I have shoot a lot of paint, both lacquer base and automotive urethane based finishes for cabinet that I have build in the past. I would have the bay doors wide open with a big fan moving air. I also would ware a good mask. After a long day of shooting finish I would feel it. I would get out of you lease and move ASAP, then plan out your set up for the future. I am also not one to panic anyone, my thoughts are just more from experience with finishes and there fumes.
That is one reason that the EPA is clamping down on shops that use toxic finishes and making them switch over to water base finishes which are 3x more the lacquer. Shops that shoot toxic finishes have to have a EPA approved booth that cost about 50K for the big one and about 20k for the smaller ones. the booths have to be inspected in most cities have to be inspected from time to time. I live in Florida and the city that I have my warehouse at, some places have been busted by the EPA for using automotive finishes with out booths. Even a cabinet shop was visited and the cabinet shop had to stop straying lacquer or they had to get a booth or spray water base with proper ventilation. Good luck and I what to see you setup when you are settled.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top