Regal Angel - Flukes(GC or Eating first)

UncleSalty

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2014
Messages
180
Reaction score
69
Location
Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a beautiful Regal Angel. He was eating at the store, and he was Prazi dipped before heading my way. He's in a QT right now and refusing to eat (went in QT on Friday). I can see he's got some white spots on his side that are likely still some flukes, maybe dead leaving the body, or not. His poop was white and stringy. I figure I have two options here.....

1. I can go ahead and dose GC and hope that it re-ignites his passion for eating.

2. Wait til I get him stable and eating again, and then dose GC.

He is quite fat, so I don't think he's starving and "maybe" he ate one or two shrimps, but I don't think so. I have a camera positioned on the QT tank so I normally leave him alone and spy on him So would you go with option 1 or 2?

#reefsquad
 
Mine go through a freshwater dip for flukes and then Prazi bath. I added two on Friday and today are just looking at food, but not really eating with gusto. The do however have 60 lbs of live rock to pick on while they are transforming into aquarium life. Good luck with yours. If you think yours has flukes they will need a FW dip. Mel has a great video on here on doing just that.
 
Congrats on the beautiful fish. As mentioned above ^^^ a freshwater dip will help a bit for those pesky surface flukes. Then the first dose of General Cure. Wait 5-7 days, do a 25% water change and then do the second dose. Wait 5-7 days, do a 25% water change. Then observe. We've seen some prazi resistant flukes lately. Arggh.

Have you ever tried "Masstick" to help with picky eaters. Mix the Masstick product with food + a vitamin like Zoecon (it's specially formulated for angels) + Beta Glucan (a real boost to the fish's immune system - highly recommend. Below is a link about BG).


Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.57.02 AM.png
 
IME, Regal Angels take right about a year to eat with gusto in captivity.
Dither fish that are non aggressive, but are not finicky eaters are VERY helpful in "teaching" Regals to eat.
Regals dont seem to recognize food in captivity for what it is. Other fish will show them.

Once acclimated, they are fairly easy to keep.
If you're sure you have flukes, treat the flukes while adding some sort of non aggressive but healthy eater type of fish to the QT.
 
IME, Regal Angels take right about a year to eat with gusto in captivity.
Dither fish that are non aggressive, but are not finicky eaters are VERY helpful in "teaching" Regals to eat.
Regals dont seem to recognize food in captivity for what it is. Other fish will show them.

Once acclimated, they are fairly easy to keep.
If you're sure you have flukes, treat the flukes while adding some sort of non aggressive but healthy eater type of fish to the QT.

I am running two simultaneous QT tanks - one has 3 bimaculatus anthias, and the other just the Regal. There are two female and one male bimaculatus, - should I move one of the females?
 
IMO, no.
Anthias are fast swimmers and dash about. when you're trying to get a shy fish like a Regal acclimated, I would lean more towards things like Salt water Mollies, Fox faces or Rabbitfish, Chalk bass, that sort of thing. Slow-ish moving, deliberate eaters that are usually smaller and less threatening to a Regal.

I've used a small Doliatus rabbit, a tiny Tomini tang, and a Royal Gramma to acclimate Regals in the past.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top