Regarding salt mix and parameters ? Was using petco premixed saltwater

Robg139

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2019
Messages
419
Reaction score
333
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef tank has been up for about 2 months now and everything so far is good. Temp I keep at 78-79. Alkalinity is 11.2, salinity is 1.024, phosphates are .25. Nitrate is at 10 ppm. First question is that an acceptable nitrate level at 10 ppm and if not what’s the best way to get it down. I’m not to sure about how to take care of problems when the arise with parameters. I’ve been using imagitarium premixed saltwater from petco just got my RODI unit set up so now gunna start mixing my own water using instant ocean. I do weekly water changes and will keep doing it that way. Will my parameters get better mixing my own saltwater from now on ?
 
So my reef tank has been up for about 2 months now and everything so far is good. Temp I keep at 78-79. Alkalinity is 11.2, salinity is 1.024, phosphates are .25. Nitrate is at 10 ppm. First question is that an acceptable nitrate level at 10 ppm and if not what’s the best way to get it down. I’m not to sure about how to take care of problems when the arise with parameters. I’ve been using imagitarium premixed saltwater from petco just got my RODI unit set up so now gunna start mixing my own water using instant ocean. I do weekly water changes and will keep doing it that way. Will my parameters get better mixing my own saltwater from now on ?

First off N03 at 10ppm is a good value for Nitrate. I recommend for a mixed coral reef water parameters as follows:

SG 1.026
Calcium 350-400
Alkalinity 7-9dkh
Magnesium 1350-1400
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Phosphates 0.02
pH 7.8-8.0


Newly established tanks with little coral load will require minor adjustments in calcium and alkalinity, even with regular water changes.
Adjustments to magnesium will be little to none.

Later with more coral and maturity, testing and adjusting alkalinity will become more important, as will calcium.
 
First off N03 at 10ppm is a good value for Nitrate. I recommend for a mixed coral reef water parameters as follows:

SG 1.026
Calcium 350-400
Alkalinity 7-9dkh
Magnesium 1350-1400
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Phosphates 0.02
pH 7.8-8.0


Newly established tanks with little coral load will require minor adjustments in calcium and alkalinity, even with regular water changes.
Adjustments to magnesium will be little to none.

Later with more coral and maturity, testing and adjusting alkalinity will become more important, as will calcium.

Okay Thankyou and when you say minor adjust does that mean dosing. I’m not sure about dosing a little confused about the subject everything I read on it just seems to complex
 
So my reef tank has been up for about 2 months now and everything so far is good. Temp I keep at 78-79. Alkalinity is 11.2, salinity is 1.024, phosphates are .25. Nitrate is at 10 ppm. First question is that an acceptable nitrate level at 10 ppm and if not what’s the best way to get it down. I’m not to sure about how to take care of problems when the arise with parameters. I’ve been using imagitarium premixed saltwater from petco just got my RODI unit set up so now gunna start mixing my own water using instant ocean. I do weekly water changes and will keep doing it that way. Will my parameters get better mixing my own saltwater from now on ?
Yes
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top