Removing aiptasia from rocks for tank move

happysalt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
Messages
191
Reaction score
102
Location
Toronto, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I have a quick question. I am going to be moving across the country and have a new tank being made. I was planning on shipping all of my rock across the country to put it into the new tank but I do have some aiptasia on the rocks that I'm worried about. I have also seen a few of them in the sand. I'm wondering if there is a way in this move that I can get rid of the aiptasia so I don't have to worry about it in the new tank.

Don't want to replace all of the rock and sand because I'll probably have to recycle the entire tank. and although I have a lot of media in the sump I wanted to just set the tank up right away.

Any suggestions?
 
I injected the couple I had with kalkwasser paste. Haven't seen them since.
 
I would put a few peppermint shrimp or a file fish in with the rock for 2 weeks. I would not bother saving and moving your sand. Your going to have a mini cycle almost no mater what. Keeping the sand will probably just make it worse. The sand will likly stink by the time it arrives and need rinsing out. Unless you.plan to have water circulation going somehow.
 
I would put a few peppermint shrimp or a file fish in with the rock for 2 weeks. I would not bother saving and moving your sand. Your going to have a mini cycle almost no mater what. Keeping the sand will probably just make it worse. The sand will likly stink by the time it arrives and need rinsing out. Unless you.plan to have water circulation going somehow.

Sand and Rock will only be out of water for about 10 hours. That still a large problem? or will the media have enough bacteria on it to not force the tank through a new cycle. I have lots of corals I don't really want to lose on this move so whichever way is easiest.

Preferably Id like to not have to pack up rock and sand if the media will have enough pods and bacteria to start up the new tank. Have two mandarins as well that eat pods all day so concerned about their health a well.
 
You really don’t want to reuse old sand. Depending on how long your tank was running your sand will be full of decaying matter that’s likely to be released in your new system. In 10hrs it can start to stink really bad.

As for aiptasia you can try to kill the visible ones with aiptasia x or kalk paste or one of many solutions. You’ll never get all of them this way so the only way to eradicate aiptasia is by introducing a predator. Peppermint shrimp, filefish, butterflies, or berghia.
 
Take rock out of tank, wrap in paper, and then put in microwave. Take it out and throw it in the trash. Lol
 
Ok so it seems like this idea of keeping the rock and the sand is being shot down fairly consistently. So general question then...in this move across the country if I only take the media out of my sump and buy new rock and sand for the tank, do I have to wait for a full cycle to happen or will I be able to just drop everything right into the new tank?
 
I see no reason to get rid of your rock. I would put it in bins with water though. If you don’t want to fully submerge all the rock, fill The bins as much as possible and cover it with newspaper and wet it with tank water. Keeping your rock wet is the only way your going to avoid a full cycle. You will have die off if it is out of water for 10 hours.
If you buy new rock it is going to need to fully cycle it. Your media from the sump will help, but not make up for all that new rock.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top