Replacing mag 9.5 to mag 1200 too much flow?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
7,541
Reaction score
5,235
Location
Citrus Co, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have an eshopps pf-1200 overflow and currently running 2 returns. 1 at mid level and one as a sb spraybar on 2 mag 9.5 pumps. One of my mags is kicking the bucket and unreliable to turn back on when powered off and on. It clatters and I've vinegar soaked and bang it to get it to come on. So, i have the chance to get a mag 12 for a good price but am affraid it's going to be too much flow with the othet 9.5 for the overflow box. Besides drilling the tank guys... what do you think? Suggestions?

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula
 
I wonder if you can put a flow restrictor on it. It should not be a huge difference. I'm thinking you can cut the flow just a little.
 
Good idea! I used to have a 9.5 and 7. Upgraded the 7 to another 9.5. Almost overflowed the tank but was able to adjust the inlet box just enough so that it didn't.

Maybe a ball valve on them12 would allow me to adjust down the flow?
 
I would not restrict the MAG....it will shorten its life. Instead put a tee on the return line with a value and meter the return volume by dumping this excess water back into the sump. Hope that makes sense.....here's a picture, with the value not in view.

PumpTee.jpg
 
That is a really good idea! Thanks :)

Well I won't have to do this for long. I just picked up 180g used tank today to upgrade the 125g. The 125g is going to become its sump.

Jackie
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top