Replacing REEFLO Dual Pumps with Dual Abyzz A400

cumbeje

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2014
Messages
501
Reaction score
626
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in my build thread but figured I would post in equipment thread also. I have 2 Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda pumps on my 700 gallon tank. Roughly about 8 months in both started leaking around seals at crankshafts. Reeflo was good enough to send replacement seal kits for free. I have replaced the seal kits before in these type of pumps. It can be a pain. The other issue is this tank is in an my office so it is very loud. So I started looking around for something different. Decided on the Abyzz pumps mostly because of noise reduction clam and 10 year warranty. Here is before the replacement of pumps. Load for sure....

The after video is here. What a difference already love these pumps.
 
Still happy with your purchase? I’m trying to decide for my build and definitely looking at the abyzz. I need someone to talk me into spending that much money! Ha. Why do you need two? I was looking at just one for my fish room downstairs to tank upstairs. Thanks for posting your vids!
 
I have an A400 in my basement sump and am very glad I spent the small fortune on it. Been running silently for a year and a half, never a hiccup. I have about 16ft of head, push around 2100 gph, and run at about 75%.
 
I have an A400 in my basement sump and am very glad I spent the small fortune on it. Been running silently for a year and a half, never a hiccup. I have about 16ft of head, push around 2100 gph, and run at about 75%.
Good to know ! Thanks :)
 
I've occasionally looked at these .... but never come anywhere close to justifying the cost. Other than just WANTING one, how do you chaps justify spending that kind of coin on a return pump?
 
I've occasionally looked at these .... but never come anywhere close to justifying the cost. Other than just WANTING one, how do you chaps justify spending that kind of coin on a return pump?
I guess it's all relative to what you feel is a good investment. And what you feel is important. A actual quiet pump is very high on my list of requirements.
I went from medium priced ( fairly reliable) pumps to a higher priced reeflo for my closed loop. Then when I got tired of the noise ( I was told the Dart/Snapper was quiet), I went with a more expensive pump, going with a Vectra L1. It was like nirvana it was so quiet. But when I was into the second one about a month and having seen the new reviews on them dying, I was already looking.
The only pumps I saw that I saw available were the Abyzz and Red Dragon that had the power and were supposed to be quiet.
It was a big leap of faith going from a $450 pump to a $1100 pump, but I settled on the RD3 150 watt.
I added a 80 watt RD3 soon afterwards.

I also guess it's similar to wanting and buying that gem tang or high end wrasse.
At least the pumps have a little longer warranty.

I also guess with me it started back when I felt the need to spend 1/2 a pay check on a single new and unproven led light.
 
A well considered response, thank you. I think all of us have made dubious purchases like un-proven lights. My own personal favorite was a pair of super tweeters for my sound system. Maybe the dog can hear them .... Maybe.
 
I posted this in my build thread but figured I would post in equipment thread also. I have 2 Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda pumps on my 700 gallon tank. Roughly about 8 months in both started leaking around seals at crankshafts. Reeflo was good enough to send replacement seal kits for free. I have replaced the seal kits before in these type of pumps. It can be a pain. The other issue is this tank is in an my office so it is very loud. So I started looking around for something different. Decided on the Abyzz pumps mostly because of noise reduction clam and 10 year warranty. Here is before the replacement of pumps. Load for sure....

The after video is here. What a difference already love these pumps.

Have you noticed any change in the temp of your system between the Hammerheads externally and the Abyzz internally?
Also, were you using the Barracuda impeller or the Hammerhead impeller?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top