Rescued Nem from Bad Fish Store/ Is it dying ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zaxh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Zaxh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2023
Messages
131
Reaction score
54
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling my tank for about 3-4 months now, and have two clowns and a hermit in there. I go to my LFS weekly for maintenance and advice and have been properly dosing and have had stable levels for corals for some time now.

Anyways me and my girlfriend were at a petstore getting dog supplies and I went into the fish isle and saw bleached nems without any wavemakers, or lights. I had to get it out and try to save it or at least bring it to my LFS. It’s day two and so far the foot has been fully extending itself and the tentacles have been getting smaller. Not too sure what’s going on, but it’s been like since 12:30 it’s now 1:45 and it’s still the same state. I attached pictures. Let me know.


IMG_2776.jpeg IMG_2775.jpeg IMG_2762.jpeg IMG_2761.jpeg IMG_2749.jpeg IMG_2748.jpeg
 
It may still be getting used to your tank. make sure there is light flow around it and just keep an eye on it for a couple more days. try feeding it some mysis shrimp too.
 
It may still be getting used to your tank. make sure there is light flow around it and just keep an eye on it for a couple more days. try feeding it some mysis shrimp too.
Do you think it’s because it’s not acclimated to the light? It went from basically 0 par to 180 par-230 par instantly. Brown Grunge and the mouth is like all bubbled up as well. I’ll turn down the light intensity
 
Do you think it’s because it’s not acclimated to the light? It went from basically 0 par to 180 par-230 par instantly. Brown Grunge and the mouth is like all bubbled up as well. I’ll turn down the light intensity
that should help too.
 
Turn down the lights to around 50-100 par. Make sure it has enough flow but not so much it's getting blasted. As stated already, you could try and feed it some. Might eat, might not.

Nems are pretty good at coming back so just treat it gently, don't mess with it (even if it goes into hiding in your rocks) and have a lot of patience.
 
Keep your water clean. Keep the nem's body near a hole in the scape on the sand bed. LTA's can be found in deeper water and tidal pools so it's ability to deal with light is exceptional. The best indicator of LTA health is color. It's color is faded right now but that's what you are looking for. You really want it to be attached to the bottom glass. When LTAs are unhappy they will detach and float so if it's attached that is a very good sign.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top