Return pump and powerheads for a 210g FOWLR

thedraque

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Messages
91
Reaction score
66
Location
Lancaster, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Ecotech Vectra M2 pump be sufficient to get 1500 GPH with about 40 inches of head plus three 90 elbows?

And would two MP40's one at each end be enough flow for a FOWLR tank? Would a single mp60 be sufficient?
 
Last edited:
I would think that for a 210, you would want at least two (2) powerheads, because one on full blast would be blowing fish around in a large portion of your tank. One gyre and two MP40s could be ideal, IMO. I would use one of the MP40s pointed to break the surface and have it on a battery back up, for when the power goes out. Share a photo of your FOWLR when you get it up and going! :)
 
I would think that for a 210, you would want at least two (2) powerheads, because one on full blast would be blowing fish around in a large portion of your tank. One gyre and two MP40s could be ideal, IMO. I would use one of the MP40s pointed to break the surface and have it on a battery back up, for when the power goes out. Share a photo of your FOWLR when you get it up and going! :)
Do you think i could just skip the Vortechs and use two Icecap Gyre 4Ks one on each end near the top? again im a bit nervous having any cords in the tank because of the puffers but with the gyres near the top there wouldnt be much cord in the water and this setup would be less than half the cost of two MP40's...

We have two 210's to setup in the next 2-3 months to replace two 40g and two 75g tanks...build thread coming soon!
 
A M2 and 2 MP40's would be great in a 210.
I want to drill returns. What should my return lines to the tank be with an M2 with the 1" output? Should I do one 3/4 locline, split the 1" to two 1/2 loc lines, or two 3/4 loc lines?
 
What I would do is, run 1" out of the pump up to a 1" bulkhead fitting. A. use a bushing to reduce it to 3/4". Use a Loc-line Y that goes to two 1/2" outlets and use a fan nozzle on each. Use however much loc-line you want/need on each.
B. try to find the 1" loc-line ( it's out there) and run 1" out to a 1" Y and go slip again.


found one place for 1" loc-line

 
What I would do is, run 1" out of the pump up to a 1" bulkhead fitting. A. use a bushing to reduce it to 3/4". Use a Loc-line Y that goes to two 1/2" outlets and use a fan nozzle on each. Use however much loc-line you want/need on each.
B. try to find the 1" loc-line ( it's out there) and run 1" out to a 1" Y and go slip again.


found one place for 1" loc-line

oh awesome i didnt know 1" loc line existed. Ill probably go that route so i only have to drill one hole for bulkhead thanks!
 
oh awesome i didnt know 1" loc line existed. Ill probably go that route so i only have to drill one hole for bulkhead thanks!
It's not very well known and I keep losing the link. Sometimes it takes a while to find it again.
 
I like the @mfinn idea. I have my split fan nozzles very close to the surface for 1) surface agitation, and 2) minimal backflow into the sump if a power failure happens (although I do have backflow preventers as well). When working with your loc line, a hairdryer to the female end and the male end into your refrigerators' ice tray for an easy-snap together. ;)
 
A Fluval SP4 would be another great choice for a return pump,
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top