Returning to the Hobby but new to Reef

g0mgx

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2021
Messages
11
Reaction score
29
Location
Belper
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

New to R2R today; have been away from fishkeeping for a long time but have returned recently and am setting up my first reef tank.

I've bought a DD Reef Pro 1200 and have a load of other gear including a SeaClear, Nyos skimmer and phosphate reactor, a DC return pump and two wavemakers in the tank itself.

There's three bags of live sand in the tank plus a load of (not live) rock.

The tank has been set up for 2 weeks and then I added a bottle of live bacteria and two clown fish which seem to be doing fine so far.

My biggest issue at the moment is I cant get the sand to stay in the corner opposite the sump return, the power of the water movement is shifting the sand away, not sure how to manage that.

Mark
IMG_20211017_144618798.jpg
 
Hi All,

New to R2R today; have been away from fishkeeping for a long time but have returned recently and am setting up my first reef tank.

I've bought a DD Reef Pro 1200 and have a load of other gear including a SeaClear, Nyos skimmer and phosphate reactor, a DC return pump and two wavemakers in the tank itself.

There's three bags of live sand in the tank plus a load of (not live) rock.

The tank has been set up for 2 weeks and then I added a bottle of live bacteria and two clown fish which seem to be doing fine so far.

My biggest issue at the moment is I cant get the sand to stay in the corner opposite the sump return, the power of the water movement is shifting the sand away, not sure how to manage that.

Mark
IMG_20211017_144618798.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined

That looks to be a very fine sand, AND photo top of your tank seems to indicate VERY strong water movement, so just keep trying to adjust flow direction or more advanced solutions might be reduce water movement [edit: some pumps are adjustable speed] or change sand to argonite - only you will determine what is best approach for your tank and your goals.

This is a great reference book type article I like to review:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
 
Thanks everyone ☺️

It's taken me ages to get the Weir running right by adjusting the pump speed and overflow pipe valves. I have about 2/3 water down the main overflow and 1/3 down the secondary at the moment.

I was thinking as suggested that I need to throttle the pump back further - it's at 77pc right now. The water surface is very agitated, however I thought "flow was everything".

The pump is a Jecod DCP-6500.

I'll fiddle with it some more.

Mark
 
Hi All,

New to R2R today; have been away from fishkeeping for a long time but have returned recently and am setting up my first reef tank.

I've bought a DD Reef Pro 1200 and have a load of other gear including a SeaClear, Nyos skimmer and phosphate reactor, a DC return pump and two wavemakers in the tank itself.

There's three bags of live sand in the tank plus a load of (not live) rock.

The tank has been set up for 2 weeks and then I added a bottle of live bacteria and two clown fish which seem to be doing fine so far.

My biggest issue at the moment is I cant get the sand to stay in the corner opposite the sump return, the power of the water movement is shifting the sand away, not sure how to manage that.

Mark
IMG_20211017_144618798.jpg
Welcome, the the most exquisite, and possibly expensive hobby!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top