Review of AI SOL lights

CloudIX

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my lights finally. I was one of the first people to get the 400w solaris lights when they first came out. Then the company got sued out of business and my warranty went with them. Then I started have some of the LED's burn out. I ordered a few and replaced them to keep the unit going. Finally they quit making the LEDs that the unit used. Upgrading the entire unit to Cree's could have been done, but the cost is about the same i would have spent for newer lights. Plus i wanted something that would interface with my apex unit. I ordered 4 of the AI SOL lights from BRS last week. Got them installed last night and im Truly amazed at these little lights. They are 30% to 50% brighter then the Solaris lights and pull 1 amp less current. I'm sure i'm singing the same song as a lot of other people, but I just wanted to put my opinion out there.
 
Awesome dude!!!!! hope you enjoy them. what are you doing with that old Solaris unit?
 
Yeah Im sure that looks real nice. Talking about a good time for a BRS free order to hopefully hit.
 
Im actually about to order some for my 90G next week! i still trying to make up my mind and get the AI Sol or spend a little more and get the AI Vega idk yet!!!
 
Im actually about to order some for my 90G next week! i still trying to make up my mind and get the AI Sol or spend a little more and get the AI Vega idk yet!!!

I thought about the Vega, but it was not supported buy the apex unit yet. Plus the SOL has more light output and that was important for me since my tank is 36" deep. I did like how you could make any color you want with the Vega.
 
Oh dang... I just realized I forgot about the brs buy last week. Crud.

sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk 2
 
I thought about the Vega, but it was not supported buy the apex unit yet. Plus the SOL has more light output and that was important for me since my tank is 36" deep. I did like how you could make any color you want with the Vega.

For my 90 gal will 2 AI Vega's be a good lighting setup?
 
Feature Article: LED Lighting Tests: Maxspect Mazarra P and Aqua Illuminiation Vega — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

it has a nice spread but doesnt seem to have a lot of par. and these test by sanjay are taken using high end expensive par meters made for leds so its real numbers.

seems the vega has a nice spread but not a lot of par. you could get get more par and same colors by diy and save a ton of money.diy = $200 2 vegas = $1000. youll be much happier also doing a diy LED+T5 combo cheaper and much better lighting ive gotten to where i dont like LEDs by themselves you have to mix in some t5
 
Last edited:
Gmoney, why is that? I left my t-5 in in case I needed more light but I'm plenty bright.

sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk 2
 
it just looks so much better with a little T5 lol brighter and shadows all gone and the wierd color seperation leds have on the shimmer fades. come check mine out man it looks like MH far as color goes. at least close as you can get duno i just like a lot better its not about the par or anything makes tank look better imo. smooths it out duno how else to explain.
 
OKl. Gotcha.... maybe I need to hook mine up and see.


thanks for letting us Hijack the thread for a bit....
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top