RNAi for fish and coral parasites

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2020
Messages
90
Reaction score
54
Location
Bay Area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, this one may be way out there, but I have to ask. I was recently reading about RNA interference and its applications to fish disease. Some examples:




I know next to nothing about RNAi, does anyone know if these sorts of treatment could one day make into the aquarium hobby? If so, is it a long way off or not? It sounds like this would be awesome for treating fish and coral parasites. Like I said, I know very little about this, hoping someone with more knowledge can give perspective.
 
I apologize, this one may be way out there, but I have to ask. I was recently reading about RNA interference and its applications to fish disease. Some examples:




I know next to nothing about RNAi, does anyone know if these sorts of treatment could one day make into the aquarium hobby? If so, is it a long way off or not? It sounds like this would be awesome for treating fish and coral parasites. Like I said, I know very little about this, hoping someone with more knowledge can give perspective.
I can’t speak to those studies, but if past history is any indication, I would not expect much, if any carryover from fisheries to aquariums. We are still in the dark ages, companies selling malachite green that hadn’t been used in aquaculture for decades. Even my go to copper treatment, Coppersafe, dates back to around 1980.

Aquarium companies now days don’t have disease R&D arms, their products are mostly old rehash of treatments.

Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top