Rock/Frag glue... What's a good one?

DirtMcGurt

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
718
Reaction score
363
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ran out of the 2 part clay-type glue that I've been using for over a year. I forgot the brand but it came in a clear tube and you cut off a chunk then knead it until it's a uniform color. It seemed to work well when you couple it with super glue between it and the rock/frag. Is there something better out there?
 
I finally ran out of the 2 part clay-type glue that I've been using for over a year. I forgot the brand but it came in a clear tube and you cut off a chunk then knead it until it's a uniform color. It seemed to work well when you couple it with super glue between it and the rock/frag. Is there something better out there?
This is what I use.

Works great, but it's a big bottle. The smaller bottle is a different product.
 
I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip about the bottle size and type
 
A good clay that I use with superglue is JB water weld. For big frags I’ll make a glue-clay-glue sandwich with it
 
As far as superglue goes, I've been using one of those maxspect glue guns. I love it. Aquatic cove stocks them.
 
Hmm... I've never heard of those. I'll definitely check it out. Super glue gun sounds interesting
 
This is what I use.

Works great, but it's a big bottle. The smaller bottle is a different product.
I agree with Brew on this product. Holds better than SG. As for the clay like product I got from AC made by aqua forest, I could never achieve good results.
 
That feedback helps. I like the clay/putty type alright but there were a few times that I ran out of super glue and it doesn't seem to hold well on it's own. Unless you can make sure whatever you're gluing doesn't move until it cures fully. It is good for odd and tricky joints between rocks.
 
Does any of these ever get clogged at the tip?
It does get clogged. The cap has a metal needle in it to help prevent it but it doesn't work all that well. I find I have to stick a toothpick down into the bottle if I actually want to use it. The needle does prevent it from completely solidifying to make clearing it with a toothpick possible.
 
I use Oatay Fix-it-Stick epoxy putty from Lowe's and Gorilla Glue Super Glue Gel to make a "sandwich" which has already been mentioned. The Gorilla Glue does not seem to clog up like some others and it holds very well.
 
I have been using Aleene's Jewelry & Metal Glue for a couple of years. I buy it cheap from Walmart ($3.46 for 0.7oz). David Miller (NARC member) told me about it, and I really like it. It is thick and works very well. I've used a number of other glues including Gorilla Glue, but I prefer this one.

It occasionally clogs, too, but a needle or a straightened paper clip can open it up easily. I have seen others using a push pin to cap it, but I have not tried it.

I was hoping that Two Little Fishies would not clog. I would have switched to it if it didn't. Loctite used to have inexpensive gel type glue with a good non-clog tip/cap, but they changed their applicator to something that I do not like.
 
I've started using this and love it. It has better control of how much you use and doesn't continue to run after squeezing like the tubes, the glue would get everywhere. Doesn't clog. I also make a putty and glue sandwich for the frags.
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
my favorite glue

Small tubes are ideal so you dont have to worry about tips clogging.

All problems using superglue alone can be solved by first rubbing the superglue on both objects that are to be glued together, then sticking them together.

I dont like epoxy sandwiches because they produce a giant wad of glue. IMO a well glued coral frag has very little visible glue.
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want a large frag, such as a two to three inch piece with branches, to stay in place, it's a lot easier to do with the epoxy and glue sandwich method. If it's a one inch frag, I use only superglue, too.
 
Last edited:
Gluing the larger, too heavy, frags that Tomoko mentioned has been the tricky. It's worked with the sandwich method tho. Hopefully soon I will be redoing my aqua scape. At least the top 2/3 of it and also giving most of my corals a permanent home. Or semi permanent until they start growing larger. So I'll try a few different methods. These are all great suggestions. I'll just have to decide which ones to use.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top