RODI maintenance of system used intermittently

womanhead

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
32
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use my RODI often. I have water set aside in gamma sealed 5 gallon buckets. My concern is what is the safest way to store the unit with out risk of slimy bacterial invaders or other nasties building up inside it. Should I keep it filled? Drain it? Maybe this is a non-issue, but I can't swing replacing it. While on the subject, how long is my sealed water good for? Is there a half-life on RODI water? Thanks in advance. Lauren
 
I wouldn’t drain it. As far as the water that’s stored in the system over time, you can flush it by running the unit a few minutes. I’d get a TDS meter if you don’t already have one. RODI units develop a TDS creep after not being used. So I’d flush it until your TDS numbers go down then you’re good to go. They may be very high after a long period of non usage, but that’s normal. Hope this helps!
 
@womanhead what do you mean that you don’t use your RODI often? Like once a month? Once a year? FWIW I use mine about once a month and don’t do anything special
 
I wouldn’t drain it. As far as the water that’s stored in the system over time, you can flush it by running the unit a few minutes. I’d get a TDS meter if you don’t already have one. RODI units develop a TDS creep after not being used. So I’d flush it until your TDS numbers go down then you’re good to go. They may be very high after a long period of non usage, but that’s normal. Hope this helps!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I will follow your advice. Lauren
 
I wouldn’t drain it. As far as the water that’s stored in the system over time, you can flush it by running the unit a few minutes. I’d get a TDS meter if you don’t already have one. RODI units develop a TDS creep after not being used. So I’d flush it until your TDS numbers go down then you’re good to go. They may be very high after a long period of non usage, but that’s normal. Hope this helps!
When you flush the system do you get water coming from the blue line too ? I mean do you produce RO/DI water too ? Because when I flush the system I produce the same quantity of water of when I don’t flush the system .
 
When you flush the system do you get water coming from the blue line too ? I mean do you produce RO/DI water too ? Because when I flush the system I produce the same quantity of water of when I don’t flush the system .
It's a brand new system. So far the amount it makes has been consistent. I'm not sure what you mean by flush the system. I was imagining you mean just letting it run for a bit before I collect it? Sorry, this is new to me.
 
It's a brand new system. So far the amount it makes has been consistent. I'm not sure what you mean by flush the system. I was imagining you mean just letting it run for a bit before I collect it? Sorry, this is new to me.
Yes I mean let it run before start to collect the water
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top