Ross B Reef'n 170 Gallon & Fishroom Megabuild

Just tested a few of my DT parameters for the first time (*whispers* "omg, he's never tested his water before?")

P04: 0.03ppm
Alk: 9.7dKH
NO3: 0.00ppm

Not sure if I totally believe the nitrate reading, will test against the cheap api test kits I have for QT. In-laws on the way so I have to stop here.
 
Last edited:
Loving the look of the fridge feeder, particularly the innovation for the stirring - those stir bars/pills are insanely useful, but can be tough to get moving. I'm curious, as well: how long is the tubing outside the fridge? Is it something that you worry about in terms of heating the food inside too much?
 
Loving the look of the fridge feeder, particularly the innovation for the stirring - those stir bars/pills are insanely useful, but can be tough to get moving. I'm curious, as well: how long is the tubing outside the fridge? Is it something that you worry about in terms of heating the food inside too much?
The stir pill works great, no problems spinning up either. The output tube length doesnt seem to matter. The only thing I'd worry about is it being longer than the volume of food you feed. But it doesnt have any effect on the food in the fridge. The food inside is always cold.

I didn't account for mounting position, so the tube is a little longer than I'd like at about 8 inches.

It looks a lot like R2D2 feeding my tank ;Woot
 
The stir pill works great, no problems spinning up either. The output tube length doesnt seem to matter. The only thing I'd worry about is it being longer than the volume of food you feed. But it doesnt have any effect on the food in the fridge. The food inside is always cold.

I didn't account for mounting position, so the tube is a little longer than I'd like at about 8 inches.

It looks a lot like R2D2 feeding my tank ;Woot

I figured it wouldn't be a huge issue, especially with such frequent feedings. It's not outside the fridge long enough to warm up. Do you have everything linked to flow changes? Shutting off/reducing powerhead flow, then feed type of thing? I imagine it'd be unnecessary with such a big tank and feeding in the middle.
 
I figured it wouldn't be a huge issue, especially with such frequent feedings. It's not outside the fridge long enough to warm up. Do you have everything linked to flow changes? Shutting off/reducing powerhead flow, then feed type of thing? I imagine it'd be unnecessary with such a big tank and feeding in the middle.

Actually, no. It almost seems like my fish are on schedule with it. You can see them start to congregate near feeding times. Then all the food is gone within seconds.

This is probably just my theory, but moving pray might simulate a more natural feeding habit.

It's awesome to see how fast our clown fairy wrasse can move!
 
Do you do anything to back wash the tubes after a feed? As I imagine you don't want the food sitting in the tubes for the period between feeding? Or do you just wash the tubes out once a week?
 
Do you do anything to back wash the tubes after a feed? As I imagine you don't want the food sitting in the tubes for the period between feeding? Or do you just wash the tubes out once a week?
Just once a week. Keeping the dosing head inside the cooled chamber eliminates the difference between in container and in tube.
 
Just once a week. Keeping the dosing head inside the cooled chamber eliminates the difference between in container and in tube.
Awesome! That would be plenty fine :) I was just wondering how you make sure it doesn't get stanky but cleaning it once a week is good!
 
For sure having the food move around a bit is probably better, and if it's gone so fast then it likely doesn't matter that much anyway :D
 
Dueling Scrubbers

20200105_141524.jpg


20200105_141541.jpg
 
Awesome build! and that frozen feeder is really genius work! i see similar one(different work style but frozen food feeder) while ago at kickstarter and wanted to get one but missed but yours pretty doable i will try to build one for sure
 
Awesome build! and that frozen feeder is really genius work! i see similar one(different work style but frozen food feeder) while ago at kickstarter and wanted to get one but missed but yours pretty doable i will try to build one for sure
It's a little different from the kickstarter one, as this concept is refrigerated instead of kept frozen. The refrigerated concept allows you to dose things normally kept in the fridge like live phytoplankton.

If you're any kind of savvy with wiring, you can put the doser power converter in the doser case and wire it to the line and neutral of the fridge so you only have one power cable.

20191117_162538.jpg


Let me know if you have any questions along the way and I'll do my best to help you out.
 
Really nice work. Did you decide to scrap the multiple tray idea that you had for one??
Thank you! I did, at least for now. Time's ticking closer to our baby being here. So I just needed some large scrubbers installed and doing thier job well in advance. I built these in a day and a half.

I have about 2 more weekends to make sure this tank is pretty much taking care of itself while our lives transition.
 
Loving the look of the new scrubbers! Hopefully they'll do the job well and you'll be able to get the life transition going without any major issues for the tank in the foreseeable future.
 
Loving the look of the new scrubbers! Hopefully they'll do the job well and you'll be able to get the life transition going without any major issues for the tank in the foreseeable future.
Thank you! I have been noticing that the slide style does allow for organics to get trapped under the screen. Perhaps the waterfall style is the best after all.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top