Rubbermaid Stock Tank as a sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter byron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Here is mine...

xa7qfb5HSeGhvbJCMN1ORQ.jpg

Looks great.

Mind if I ask how you are managing the water level as it relates to the skimmer? Or is the skimmer sized such that pressure or water height isn't a concern?

I've thought about using one of these a few times now and used regular totes in the past. Easy to drill. Affordable. Etc. I was thinking I could add a sheet of PVC on one end with some plastic screws. Drill in 3 x 1 1/2" bulkheads for my return lines (Bean Animal), and then leave the other side open for skimmer, space, and the other side similar. PVC sheet, 2 x 1" bulkhead, return pump lines. Should make them stable and easy to quick disconnect if I want to clean it out.

Trying to visualize probes, dosing, heater, and trident pull and overall size. I have 54" of width to work with. Stand is 30" tall but I have to be able to get in there as does my 24" tall lifereef skimmer.

Great setup. I have to go read your thread for more ideas. ALso nice photo skills.
 
I see more and more people going this route VERY successfully
 
I see more and more people going this route VERY successfully

Yeah, I believe you are right. Some people just have mad skills at the DIY stuff. Me, not so much :) For me it is a lot like cooking. If you lay out the recipe for me I can do it. You give me a sheet of paper and I'll give you a ball of paper...

The 50 gallon is what I'm considering. Seems maybe I should have kept my 40 breeder tank or go pick one up but I like this better. I just need to be able to get things set so they work properly. Also help me get rid of two check valves which I know we are not supposed to be using and maybe quiet down some things.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top