Running a gyre in a salt mixing storage container?

pompeyjohn

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
262
Reaction score
119
Location
Chapel Hill, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I know most folks mix (and store) their saltwater using an external pump that draws from the bottom of the container, and then returns through a uniseal. How about using a Gyre instead? I have a spare one laying around.

I am setting up an Automatic Water Change system in the garage. There are two 40 gallon vertical containers. One for salt and one for fresh. They are about four foot high, and 18" in diameter. Each has their own line come from the RODI unit. Both came pre drilled toward the base with a bulkhead.

If I went with the gyre then I could put a john guest fitting right into the bottom bulkhead and be done with it. No more plumbing needed. No needed to buy an external pump, or drill a hole for a uniseal.

It sounds like it should work. Although it would be a bit annoying threading the gyre power cable through the lid. Also, if the gyre had to be positioned vertically (due to the curve of the container wall) I wonder if that matters.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Thanks
 
Hi all,

I know most folks mix (and store) their saltwater using an external pump that draws from the bottom of the container, and then returns through a uniseal. How about using a Gyre instead? I have a spare one laying around.

I am setting up an Automatic Water Change system in the garage. There are two 40 gallon vertical containers. One for salt and one for fresh. They are about four foot high, and 18" in diameter. Each has their own line come from the RODI unit. Both came pre drilled toward the base with a bulkhead.

If I went with the gyre then I could put a john guest fitting right into the bottom bulkhead and be done with it. No more plumbing needed. No needed to buy an external pump, or drill a hole for a uniseal.

It sounds like it should work. Although it would be a bit annoying threading the gyre power cable through the lid. Also, if the gyre had to be positioned vertically (due to the curve of the container wall) I wonder if that matters.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Many, many hobbyist use powerheads to do this very thing. Should work just fine.
 
I have been using a strong danner mag drive at the bottom of a 100G ~5' tall circular container and it has mixed salt well for years. I have it pointed to effectively create a circular flow pattern.

I recently upgrade gyres to the newest 350's and was thinking of using on of my old ones in that tank both so I could just magnet them to the wall (vs a loose pump on the bottom) and because it feels like it would do even better to make a circular vortex if you will as a gyre mounted vertically. I used a hole saw to create an exit hole on the top for wires and plugs (I also have level sensors, a apex pmup for getting water out when I want it manually, and lines for the dos's doing AWC for nearby tanks) For me this allows me to have no holes in the tank other than the top and that makes me (and my spouse) rest easier as 100G on the floor would not be fun.

Look forward to seeing how this works for you.
 
Thanks lactose. I think we have similar setups, and similar goals.

Here are some pictures. The salt is the container on the left. The gyre is an icecap 1k. It seems to be doing the job so far. I was able to get it to "mount" to the magnet horizontally. I didn't think that would be possible. Going to try it this way for a week, and then try a vertical mount.

Each container came pre-drilled [and with a very cheap] bulkhead. I ditched those and added some 1/2 bulkheads, each has their own 1/2" to john guest fitting. The idea is that these will connect to a DOS for auto water changes. I have heard the DOS is loud.

FShwxpjLTDdYqtQnKrwiAP8pFOjHr-uMtnH8TAVHZgFwjiUxDqRHoPj4cB0q1SQXMlCqh5pcPw6hxOoC8O1cwy54cGeua5iPcOebeP5DWFNxPKyj5GYZYeXzGrKgIvRwxnSyACRVPiwWEXzA8UfSE4FRhqD02zhM_vNOJlha5-G9IB_VomTE9UxtsswOFMmyt3hfq_2qDN3YDRc9Ya_IGVsp_fzex0oEGaclS87Gs2gIYsF3wb0ueZmFt15nyOBCnhGLFNb0VBSNFw9OotC-BldIqCILTqgj7z2R8pAK7e5qsMe3Vh3PupPvi1qJRPdOgCe7gA847WFd62WdWXcjb7j7uVbFvHV8plZnMkMiE35ABgos72tXFh_UV7B_CiTegczNfsX0E8rN4Ij-sQd9VtV5umZ6URr2Cp7Ed-RBGrPkm0TaSaklAEluFAyZoV9R1KdPboelC_pwGN5lDDxVJ-4Y6b330fopp5zmGySacKAjkPEjsD8Q00EgHZwSjcDNVVwVNrxheDv5MpqvF9AMEYIFo-Zm4WnGWiE0hUc5a65Q803m8wJJb5NAHufFO9xUK7vh5GF0nu6ACO77-ryEl6ShnEXlairAUG2be0mG-2ixTAfXaV3Nx7sQkO2gEeeFUGXRN5KzBhi3t_rHPejhQlaXAjne1DoZ=w165-h220-no
DNXJsFF3Cpt3Npa-8CooT0lxOKwX-geTfufNDgOCBi_jMIHKUAJHl7xGS2pIpC_bYv92U_Pr8R82vVFVAA-bwIFwfyNh0vPWtD6WZT2AIvNtFCH_nWAl23L7eo3G_YPEaqArryeZAJ6t6vHhp6AQ7Wy-9b4-iWlTRhDcSbHfynK1xDW9O9ruXITOdnKWPpLUSnstiAG7ZMRw3yEqyV508szQRkclEt7s543Ffsm-rWJXZgzfB8cGpPR0fJJGnf0cRxCE6uxedRuWqwsXBQq8HUjIOXdgxrPY3SMO36w_rhInDV9LHQLKE4-NYfn4tdWpsOf6qQcb9wu9j9EnEfU8r1jLy4cIFdV6esVdza-DpuIor8vziNGqKQcCA9yFtVXH56uYZ5ZFHjsllLTYgYRoDcxnukJFUWLO26R_ZV_53j1m78hdaurPmLWWIdjE6aFa1J__6XboJ7405YA52c4AYOZMH4sPzKDy89JqIDfq_nNXvMctvPqztI6hNI4azyyP2yBPkoOJAb_XqvL-9Vf8QgSAI9swGDF3AvTmMTJYxiIu8r-MhEpxLpspMpJycOWPjiKPyc_RB0s9uZrPg2U8ZXUsKy7beHe16oNpMM3Df6VH0E_4Vw6POxUk496p6aZiBgMkddM9f10xzpyR8KuJS2Pds7THp9nc=w1398-h1861-no
HywKgoHrRUlBHKaAMm8ZBjVCc3Mf0c0jOviykpU8iHMSuKAO3rMvkT0zrLmr4pjWxJbNuYIDOT6gUHh7bkon5AEy0NRle17JXHJQZi8mKlEA5DYZbNhufw4W9LEMYzApnhQKO4SBIdjUklCOC8Dq8tP0f0gzFhcHX7L0vyB-QutY9oP_1bBdMFu-rGdW4bayJw6rx_j7j3RRSbIlZUYvOTajSKtraz8h8HBeQf3_vYdYl2L1EmBHd44ANPR7JtjOqewrHrqsyoi8C6xN-kqI4Du9r_7H_O_np_piB_6i6eQxQZ_jMCtJja_eWBYvd9uYB-Id2tMLclIVA7tknJrEtCSb-PWu454hxp6Xlet5tm5MQlJSj5W6PO9ErBUZfBUr7MyeZkZPcKxRUZ8fc7K5v5XXmae2Rkdm7v1uzoLZ6YBfmZYDH3vI5T2Vrp5Dv18imtXVnkMvB5Olp6IRebd8Ao8KxOkpF5dv80xFdx3PQcMx7yc2RUGkfCHywUvnuqd6g_mBQ30-j7y28wmJvFCHqhUnVuLzbkm2LVB9eKK-QHYoaPiOJPNY72NZte92WqZEx00EbEzwULy46chZZlV8k1JpeitcztuofqEsnucedEBtJa-Bgq3Y3gVyvyzs53EQTu1kUrX8i7iHCrFkt8wSp-HFEyWUhaSw=w2482-h1861-no
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top