Sailfin Tang breathing fast and pale.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 29, 2021
Messages
630
Reaction score
276
Location
Tom's River
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do? I've been dosing prazi pro. Done 3 doses already so I doubt it is flukes or worms.
I haven't seen him scrape or anything. He's not swimming too much, he seems lethargic. The video is right after most of the food was gone. He ate some but not as much as normal.

Ill try and do a skin scrape in the meantime, if I can, and update with results.

 
Is there a reason you’re dosing prazi ?
Prazi does reduce both appetite and saturated oxygen, so be sure to increase oxygen with as simple as adding an air stone
-Does the fish have appetite/eating?
- swimming vertically?
- What is tank temp/salinity ?
 
Is there a reason you’re dosing prazi ?
Prazi does reduce both appetite and saturated oxygen, so be sure to increase oxygen with as simple as adding an air stone
-Does the fish have appetite/eating?
- swimming vertically?
- What is tank temp/salinity ?
Dosing prazi for suspected flukes...from the last time with Jay.

Tank temp 78.5 f
Salinity SG 1.026

Not swimming vertically
Yes eating but it is suppressed
Staying near bottom.
 
Here's some microscope pics I have got so far...
These are the skin scrape with 1 drop of water.
IMG_20210825_133829771~2.jpg
IMG_20210825_134514222.jpg
IMG_20210825_134214756~2.jpg
IMG_20210825_134708263.jpg
IMG_20210825_134951939.jpg
IMG_20210825_134953875~2.jpg
 
dosing with prazi id make sure there is there is extra oxygen in the tank like mentioned above. Did you do a fw dip on him?

In the beginning of the first treatment. I think 3 doses of prazi is enough for now. I put in carbon yesterday after 70 hrs of the prazi dose.
 
Im under the impression that since no bottled dosers that we add to a display for fish disease are part of the stickies here above, they don't work, is that right

what I'm seeing is a fallow and quaratine stickies/why is prazi pro not listed up there
 
Im under the impression that since no bottled dosers that we add to a display for fish disease are part of the stickies here above, they don't work, is that right

what I'm seeing is a fallow and quaratine stickies/why is prazi pro not listed up there
What...
 
where is prazi pro listed as a treatment option in the disease forum here/ in the stickies

is it up there and I'm missing it

did you run fallow and quarantine here, I like to watch for patterns of breakthrough disease when that's ran is why asking

fallow and quarantine preps are covered in the stickies for sure here, those stood out as treatment options.
 
where is prazi pro listed as a treatment option in the disease forum here/ in the stickies

is it up there and I'm missing it

did you run fallow and quarantine here, I like to watch for patterns of breakthrough disease when that's ran is why asking

fallow and quarantine preps are covered in the stickies for sure here, those stood out as treatment options.
Idk how to do stickies. No I never fallowed. I just put prazipro in the display with the fish and dosed 3x.

I just wanna know what's going on with the tang.
I've since turned my skimmer on for more oxygen.
 
You need to pull the fish, fallow the tank and run them through qt, prazi in the display won’t work. It’s mean to the fish to not do the known safe treatment, adding new fish over the last few months has brought in mixed challenges and this way will fix it best we can, not a display additive like prazipro.

mixing the fish without preps brings in potential challenges well beyond its scope, or the current challenge.
 
Here are some more... And also when I was doing the skin scrape I saw a white blotch and it looked like bone...

IMG_20210825_144938261~2.jpg
IMG_20210825_142906874~2.jpg
 
You need to pull the fish, fallow the tank and run them through qt, prazi in the display won’t work. It’s mean to the fish to not do the known safe treatment, adding new fish over the last few months has brought in mixed challenges and this way will fix it best we can, not a display additive like prazipro.
But do you see any flukes in the pics?
 
No I didn’t spot any maybe someone else w catch one in the slides
 
No I didn’t spot any maybe someone else w catch one in the slides
Yeah. Someone thought this was a fluke, won't say who...but I'm not convinced it is. No harm to person. This was from my other fish, the clownfish. Before prazipro.
1629918288017.png
 
nice.

the reason you need to qt and fallow is because the stocking rates and additions have brought in mixed diseases, beyond the scope just for this one doser option. In July there were other disease challenges

its a mixed, compounded challenge

We can see a massive rate of fish loss, re purchase then re loss again here in the forum when fallow and qt is avoided.

A popular option when skipping qt and fallow is to input fish only into highly matured reef setups


when that can't be done, fallow and qt is required to stop killing and replacing fish

its why those two are the accepted methods from the stickies. this tank needs to be redone correctly, the fish stocking approach.
 
nice.

the reason you need to qt and fallow is because the stocking rates and additions have brought in mixed diseases, beyond the scope just for this one doser option. In July there were other disease challenges

its a mixed, compounded challenge

We can see a massive rate of fish loss, re purchase then re loss again here in the forum when fallow and qt is avoided.

A popular option when skipping qt and fallow is to input fish only into highly matured reef setups


when that can't be done, fallow and qt is required to stop killing and replacing fish

its why those two are the accepted methods from the stickies. this tank needs to be redone correctly, the fish stocking approach.
So, what do I do with the fish? I only have a 10 gal hospital/quarantine tank.
 
where is prazi pro listed as a treatment option in the disease forum here/ in the stickies

is it up there and I'm missing it

did you run fallow and quarantine here, I like to watch for patterns of breakthrough disease when that's ran is why asking

fallow and quarantine preps are covered in the stickies for sure here, those stood out as treatment options.
Prazi treatment is covered under Jay's current quarantine procedures sticky.
 
as is qt and fallow, needed here, for diseases beyond the scope of prazi. nice to know though, it wasn’t in descriptions.



Not sure what to do with fish that can’t go through qt, they won’t all fit in the ten. It seems prudent to try prazi here given the circumstance but if you spot any more disease after the flukes I would give back the fish and start with a manageable load, one that can be qt. That or get bigger qt setup or multiple qt setups, however folks handle tangs etc.

a nice fallow run for the tank sure would help, it hasn’t had any so far but new fish have been added.

Im sure that adding untreated lfs fish to the tank in succession is associated with a high degree of loss about eight months after additions, thats the pattern in post frequency here.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top