Sailfing tang won't eat

  • Thread starter Thread starter R_C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I would try giving him red or green seaweed on a clip. I've also found that tangs really love LRS Herbivore frozen food. Good luck.
 
I've had fish eat 5 mins after going into the aquarium I've had fish not eat anything for 30 days then start eating
 
Yep, but that 30 day scenario is a little scary. No one likes that-lol.
Your right i got a 10" blue face angel he was $500 I gave him 20 different foods would not eat anything 30 days later I tried clams on the half shell that was he food 2 years later I still have him and he eats everything now
 
Try the reef nutrition brine feast over @WWC. That might get the sail fin eating.
 
Your right i got a 10" blue face angel he was $500 I gave him 20 different foods would not eat anything 30 days later I tried clams on the half shell that was he food 2 years later I still have him and he eats everything now
Wow...a $500 fish that wouldn't eat for 30 days!!! That must have been a nightmare!!! Glad he's fine and prospering.
 
Red nori, live blackworms, live brine. If you try these three and they don't work he's a goner! almost all fish love this trifecta
 
Last edited:
Is he not eating Nori either?
Not that I know of. Last night I saw some of it on the powerhead. Although he was moving a lot more last night and his belly is not sunken in yet. If he is eating then it is when I'm not around
I have tried all of these:
Marine Cuisine
Emerald Entrée
Plankton
Omega Brine Shrimp
Pellets with garlic
All of the above foods with garlic guard
Red Nori

I'm still searching for live brine shrimp and will try to swing by WWC if they are opened.

BTW, What do you guys think about me doing a 10% water change every 2 days to get rid of the excess food? Beneficial or not?
 
Not that I know of. Last night I saw some of it on the powerhead. Although he was moving a lot more last night and his belly is not sunken in yet. If he is eating then it is when I'm not around
I have tried all of these:
Marine Cuisine
Emerald Entrée
Plankton
Omega Brine Shrimp
Pellets with garlic
All of the above foods with garlic guard
Red Nori

I'm still searching for live brine shrimp and will try to swing by WWC if they are opened.

BTW, What do you guys think about me doing a 10% water change every 2 days to get rid of the excess food? Beneficial or not?
Live blackworms and live brine tug at the feeding response of even the most finicky fish. I've saved several tangs that wouldn't eat with these, even Achilles.
 
BTW, What do you guys think about me doing a 10% water change every 2 days to get rid of the excess food? Beneficial or not?

Always get rid of the uneaten food. You want to avoid the ammonia spikes this can cause after a bit, even in an established QT. You can just use an airline hose to suck out the uneaten food so your not taking out large amounts of water each time.
 
Another little update.
The sailfin is still alive and swimming around my quarantine. I still have not seen him eat anything at all, but I keep looking at the belly and it is not sunken in nor he looks like he is getting skinnier. I still feed multiple times a day and yesterday I added live baby brine shrimp to the mix.
I don't know if any one has ever had a fish that dodges food and hides when I feed. After I feed he comes out and swims around the food evading it. o_O
He also may be a little blind cause he is constantly bumping into the glass, heater, PVC etc.
 
If it going blind or blind normally how that is cause as if they got into direct sunlight from taking it out of your car into your home or if he got a bunch of light at one time for the aquarium that can put them in shock
 
Another little update.
The sailfin is still alive and swimming around my quarantine. I still have not seen him eat anything at all, but I keep looking at the belly and it is not sunken in nor he looks like he is getting skinnier. I still feed multiple times a day and yesterday I added live baby brine shrimp to the mix.
I don't know if any one has ever had a fish that dodges food and hides when I feed. After I feed he comes out and swims around the food evading it. o_O
He also may be a little blind cause he is constantly bumping into the glass, heater, PVC etc.

Are his eyes clear or cloudy? Swollen at all?
 
If it going blind or blind normally how that is cause as if they got into direct sunlight from taking it out of your car into your home or if he got a bunch of light at one time for the aquarium that can put them in shock

Man, that must mean all fish in the ocean or rivers or lakes are completely blind... :)

This is just false.
 
Wow...a $500 fish that wouldn't eat for 30 days!!! That must have been a nightmare!!! Glad he's fine and prospering.
I had a large blue face that didn't eat for weeks also, although it started eating while hiding before it started pigging out in the open
 
Bumping in to stuff makes me wonder if he is blind, and if so that would explain why he doesn't eat. I hope he's just a goof ball and it's nothing serious but it doesn't sound innocuous
 
Is he still doing this behavior? Has he started eating yet?

He is still doing it and not eating when I'm there. Heven looks OK though. After a week and no sunken belly so he must be eating something.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top