Saltwater and freshwater filter media interchangeable? I.e., Bactria?

alexanderthefishlover

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2024
Messages
208
Reaction score
38
Location
Canada, Vancouver, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just wondering is saltwater nitrifying bacteria is interchangeable with freshwater? I.e., using filter media from reef to cycle freshwater aquarium?

If so, how would I go about this process I.e., seachem matrix media from reef into a new freshwater filter?

I had freshwater aquariums for many years. Then stopped and started salt. Well, now I want both but none of my friends have filter media to offer from their freshwater setups right now.

Any advice would be appreciated!
 
They are not interchangeable, but there may be some bacteria strains on a freshwater filter that may grow in seawater.

Buying something like Fritz turbo start works well.
 
Hello,

Just wondering is saltwater nitrifying bacteria is interchangeable with freshwater? I.e., using filter media from reef to cycle freshwater aquarium?

If so, how would I go about this process I.e., seachem matrix media from reef into a new freshwater filter?

I had freshwater aquariums for many years. Then stopped and started salt. Well, now I want both but none of my friends have filter media to offer from their freshwater setups right now.

Any advice would be appreciated!
No they are not interchangeable at least once colonized. Some how products like mb7 and prodibio maybe a few others can be used out of the bottle in either. I am unsure how the mechanics work on that though.
 
Hello,

Just wondering is saltwater nitrifying bacteria is interchangeable with freshwater? I.e., using filter media from reef to cycle freshwater aquarium?

If so, how would I go about this process I.e., seachem matrix media from reef into a new freshwater filter?

I had freshwater aquariums for many years. Then stopped and started salt. Well, now I want both but none of my friends have filter media to offer from their freshwater setups right now.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Buy a bottle of nitrifying bacteria for freshwater
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top