Saltwater Tank cycled, Not Cycled, What do I do???

Im impatient so I use copious amounts of startsmart complete. Cycles same day. I also add it anytime I do waterchange or add rock or livestock.
 
that doesn't hurt a thing as safety insurance...we cover in our thread how adding overages of bacteria doesn't hurt...tank regulates just fine in time.

its the practice of dosing ammonia that must change in reef cycling...based solely on the kinds of rocks we begin with, and sometimes fully unneeded as in the OP's type of rocks.
 
I have the api test kit. It works fine for me. The best way to read it in natural light. It doesn't really give you false readings, but the 0.5 and 0 blend a little. There's an app that can help you with color identification, "Aquarium Note." Another tip: wait five minutes EXACTLY, and then check it. If you let it sit too long I found it says you have more and more ammonia.
 
I did not know that timing thing and ive been hacking on api for ten yrs lol

there are accurate kits out there agreed, and, its prob a combination of knowing those details, getting accurate fill line measures etc.

api is good to have for spiked measures like a dead fish...we just find cycling with it to be unneeded. bio method much more reliable
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top