Sand from saltwater to freshwater

  • Thread starter Thread starter dib
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

dib

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some extra sand from a saltwater tank that was rinsed and air dried then closed up in a bucket. I'm wondering if I can use it in a freshwater aquarium now. Or would it be harmful?
 
It should be ok after a thorough cleaning. Maybe soak it for a few weeks in a bucket of freshwater and keep an eye on the salinity just to be sure. If it starts to rise too much, constant water changes will remove the salt. Eventually all the salt will be removed.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top