Saw the craziest thing in my tank!

rackyrane

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
256
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I thought I had seen some nutty stuff in my tank, but tonight I saw something that tops it all.
I saw a pod war. No, this is not a joke. I was rearranging my tank because I lost some corals beneath the rock. In one corner of my tank, there was a big amphipod and some smaller copepods fighting WWIII. The big one must have been trying to eat one of the little ones and a bunch of them ganged up on him. He was a vicious little sucker and eventually ended up "winning" I guess--he got dinner.
Never saw anything like this before. Has anyone?
On another note, I saw so many pods tonight that I'm thinking about getting a mandarin. Tanks only about 8 months old. Have well over 100+ pounds of rock in a 110 gal tank. Any thoughts? Should I wait until after a year to get a mandarin? With the size of the pods and number that I saw tonight, I'm afraid my zoos may become a main course!
 
Ok, I thought I had seen some nutty stuff in my tank, but tonight I saw something that tops it all.
I saw a pod war. No, this is not a joke. I was rearranging my tank because I lost some corals beneath the rock. In one corner of my tank, there was a big amphipod and some smaller copepods fighting WWIII. The big one must have been trying to eat one of the little ones and a bunch of them ganged up on him. He was a vicious little sucker and eventually ended up "winning" I guess--he got dinner.
Never saw anything like this before. Has anyone?
On another note, I saw so many pods tonight that I'm thinking about getting a mandarin. Tanks only about 8 months old. Have well over 100+ pounds of rock in a 110 gal tank. Any thoughts? Should I wait until after a year to get a mandarin? With the size of the pods and number that I saw tonight, I'm afraid my zoos may become a main course!


i havent seen a pod in my tank in months!! lol

get a sixline wrasse or something. or, set up a smaller tank with live rock that has pods and get a mandarin, and teach it to eat prepared foods. mine took to frozen blood worms, but took a couple weeks to get him to do it.

once you get the mandarin to eat something in a prepared food nature, then toss him into the big tank.
 
Thanks guys. My husband stole my sixline for his tank, will need to get another for my tank.
 
i have a pod population expanding heavily in my prop tank and with 3x yellow tail damsels residing in there aswell doesnt seem to make alot a difference, could i put a six line wrasse in with damsels without ww3 breaking out, the damsels laying eggs all the time now and bite/head butt my hand if i put it in tank
 
Do you guys think a 6-line would escape my peacock mantis shrimp? I've got tons of pods swimming all over his tank & nothing to eat them. I'm gonna have a swarm soon! The other problem is that tank isn't covered.
 
This is IMO:

Berns: If the damsels are that aggressive. no.

Puffer: Wouldnt the mantis hunt at night and get the sixline? Or does the mucus covering the sixline produces, protect it at night???

Impur: I have a sixline in an uncovered shallow 12inch tank. :) Doesnt make sense does it?
 
lol nope, but what about this hobby does make sense?? What works for you won't work for me, its funny that way. ;)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top