Science In Action! Human Effect on pH in the real world.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ccombs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2019
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
4,644
Location
Nashville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note- This is not a controlled or absolute scientific test, just a fun observation.

Just wanted to share something interesting, I love seeing science in action while my wife and I are out of town. My tank (being in my bedroom) has always struggled with low pH. Even bringing in outside air via a skimmer or bubbler has not done all that much.

Anyway, I checked in on my parameters via APEX, and it is interesting to see the effect of no one in the house. Not only is the pH higher due to less carbon dioxide, the nightly swings are less significant because there are not 2 people sleeping in the room.

Check it out!


pH Example.png



Next time that I go out of town but my wife stays, I will have to get a screen capture of that. Even just me being gone does have a noticeable difference.
 
Very interesting, and I'm not surprised to see this.
I try my best to keep fresh air coming into our house even with the cold weather, and use a fresh air intake on my skimmer too.

A couple windows just cracked makes a big difference ...
 
Very interesting. Not surprising. And also why I don't bother checking pH.
 
Very interesting, and I'm not surprised to see this.
I try my best to keep fresh air coming into our house even with the cold weather, and use a fresh air intake on my skimmer too.

A couple windows just cracked makes a big difference ...
Very interesting. Not surprising. And also why I don't bother checking pH.

Yeah, not much of a surprise, but I really enjoy seeing aquarium theory play out in the real world and hope it sparks some interest in others!
 
Note- This is not a controlled or absolute scientific test, just a fun observation.

Just wanted to share something interesting, I love seeing science in action while my wife and I are out of town. My tank (being in my bedroom) has always struggled with low pH. Even bringing in outside air via a skimmer or bubbler has not done all that much.

Anyway, I checked in on my parameters via APEX, and it is interesting to see the effect of no one in the house. Not only is the pH higher due to less carbon dioxide, the nightly swings are less significant because there are not 2 people sleeping in the room.

Check it out!


pH Example.png



Next time that I go out of town but my wife stays, I will have to get a screen capture of that. Even just me being gone does have a noticeable difference.
Less CO2, & more oxygen
 
Kinda what folks have been saying for years isn't it.
 
Ignorance is bliss? Lol

;Happy;Happy;Happyand I'm a happy guy!!!;Happy;Happy;Happy

Not ignorance per se - more of a "why worry about something that will literally change values throughout the day and ultimately have little to no effect on the system" sort of thing. Way back in the day I was a numbers chaser and then had problems figuring out what had happened. Added way too much pH booster without understanding what I was actually adding to the system. I was just lucky that it was a fish only tank at the time.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top