Thanks for checking in. I think I am making slow progress, but still dinos on the sand bed in multiple areas. There are fewer areas than before so seems to be headed in a positive direction.
I have done several things over the past two weeks.
1. Started dosing Brightwell SpongExcel at the recommended 1 drop per 20 gallons.
2. Added PNS Substrate Sauce.
3. Replenished pod population with gallon of reefsoup from aquaculture nursery farms. Galaxy pods from algae barn
4. Started dosing live phyto every evening
5. Started Carbon dosing. By hanna checker, Nitrate currently 14.6, Phosphate 0.18
6. Reduced frequency of automatic feeder from 7 times to 4 times / day.
7. Ordered live mud (delayed in the mail)
8. Added coralline algae in a bottle. A year ago my rocks were thickly encrusted with coralline, Once my phosphates climbed about 0.2 I started losing the coralline.
Here's a photo from a year ago where you can see the coralline everywhere. Three changes occurred in the system around this time. I added the parrotfish, started using kalkwasser to boost pH, and nutrients started increasing. I don't believe the change in the coralline was related to the parrotfish because he doesn't graze all these areas and I don't believe it's kalk, so my current leading explanation is the elevated nutrients.
Also I have had a competing issue with the aluminum in the system. For this I ended up doing two 15-20% water changes over the course of the week. I have resumed the baseline 15 L / day water change. I ran a couple poly filters for a week and did change the carbon and GFO a couple weeks ago to adsorb aluminum. Rowaphos also removed silicates and I last changed prior to beginning to dose silicates. I plan to send off an ICP tomorrow to monitor the aluminum and verify the other chemistry parameters are back in line.
It's possible I'm being optimistic, but some of the acros seem to have regained some of their fluorescence. Still much worse than baseline, but progress in the right direction.