Seashells from the gulf of Mexico

Doug 7727

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2017
Messages
64
Reaction score
39
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what I need to do to make seashells safe to put in my aquarium that I bought from a souvenir shop in Destin FL while on vacation
 
What I do for small rock or ornaments things like you mentioned, is put them in the toilet tank (reservoir) for two weeks. The constant flushing of new water will clean them up. I’ve done this and have had good outcomes. You can also do a vinegar or bleach bath followed by rodi soak for a few days.
If they were collected right off the beach I doubt much is needed since they belong in saltwater. As long as there’s no pests.
 
What I do for small rock or ornaments things like you mentioned, is put them in the toilet tank (reservoir) for two weeks. The constant flushing of new water will clean them up. I’ve done this and have had good outcomes. You can also do a vinegar or bleach bath followed by rodi soak for a few days.
If they were collected right off the beach I doubt much is needed since they belong in saltwater. As long as there’s no pests.
They were bought from a store if there are pests that have survived they are super pests...lol.... Just worried about water parameters as some of the shells are for my hermit crabs
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top