Second fish disappears. Coral banded the culprit?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2015
Messages
2,246
Reaction score
5,196
Location
Dannemora, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok prior to today I had a small blue hippo tang disappear. He was always by the openings of my overflow so I assumed he had gotten sucked in with no real way of me getting him out without tearing the plumbing out.
Tonight my flasher wrasse has disappeared. At first I thought he may have jumped so I did a thorough recon around the tank, under everything and in the adjacent rooms. Nothing, still no sign after feeding which is not normal.

The only thing I can think of is my giant coral banded shrimp. He lives on the back of a structure where he can only be spotted by his large antennae hanging out. He was decent size when i got him but molts about twice a week over the last month or two. Possible for him to catch and kill a 1.5" hippo and a 3" mccoskers flasher wrasse? I cant see what he is up to but he didnt move much during feeding either.
 
B3B7F722-CF74-4AC3-8679-30798A262ABA.jpeg

My Coral Banded Shrimp eating my Talbot. Some have suggested that the Talbot died, and then the shrimp got him— but my suspicions are that the shrimp nabbed it at night when it slept.
 
I've had multiple big coral banded. I've seen them all lunge at fish... but I can't imagine them catching a healthy one. I just don't think they have the beef. Of course they are happy to snack on a dead one.
 
I've had multiple big coral banded. I've seen them all lunge at fish... but I can't imagine them catching a healthy one. I just don't think they have the beef. Of course they are happy to snack on a dead one.
 
I have a large one. He's very mean and takes swipes at any fish coming near him, but he's too slow to catch a healthy fish EXCEPT if they're sleeping I'd imagine.

I've found him with two small fish before, a clown and a yellow wrasse. It is unclear whether he got them then they were asleep or if they were sick and he took advantage.

Regardless he's still in the tank, I've tried to get him out to put him in the sump but he's just too fast.
 
Highly doubtful it was the coral banded shrimp. How long did you have those fish? Hepatus tangs of that size have questionable survival rates. Was it thoroughly quarantined?
 
do you feed yr tank after lights out??

several times a week, i sprinkle sinking pellets into my tank for the sake of the nocturnal shrimp.

among them, i have a yellow banded coral shrimp (Stenopus cyanoscelis) which i’ve read is supposed to have a more peaceful temperament.

i still give him the stink eye though cuz i’ve been losing snails left and right. i also have a pair of halloween hermits but i always see them picking off algae and stray chaeto strands on the tank bottom.
 
Hated my coral banded...he took our soooo many of my other shrimp and would always lunge after my fish.

I removed 80% of my rock to remove that little bugger! Never again lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top