Sedra KSP pumps - are they doomed to fail quickly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bh750
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

bh750

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2016
Messages
418
Reaction score
267
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a Euroreef RS 8-3+ skimmer for about 12 years now. Skimmer itself is awesome. The pumps however, (two Sedra 5000) horrible. More recently however the seem to fail, and quickly.

So last time I bought two new ones from Marine Depot. First one failed right after the lame 1 year warranty. I was able to track down the MFR, All Seas Marine in CA (www.allseaslax.com) after a few transfers I finally got to the guy who runs their pumps. He basically said "yea these types of pumps will always eventually fail", something about heat buildup and or insulation around the impeller. Now the 2nd one is starting to go.

Many times its simply a swollen impeller (from the heat). So now have to order a new one for $50.

This is the pump I've been using:

http://www.aquacave.com/sedra-ksp-5000-needle-wheel-water-pump.html

Is there a better option or style pump out there?
 
Why not try another brand like sicce or ehiem ? And buying and buying propels

I'd love to. But aside from reliable brands I'm thinking of the type of pump. If that's even something to think about. He guy said with these types (can't remember specifically) they all fail. I think from overheating and the impeller bulging.

Is there a type of pump that doesn't happen with? I've had my tunze powerheada running pretty much nonstop for 12 years now no problems.
 
I'd love to hear more on this topic if anyone has insights. I'd like a replacement for this pump but I don't have enough knowledge on the topic.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top