Separate Apex for QT or just connect via aquabus?

reeferericb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
308
Reaction score
197
Location
Hallsville
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to decide which way is better to keep parameters in check on my QT tank. I don’t know that I need all the same information that my DT gives me, so I thought I’d ask here and see what everyone else does.

Is there a benefit to having a separate system or just aquabus over to an energy bar and buy the necessary modules that I want?
 
It's way more expensive to buy a 2nd Apex, and it's cumbersome to toggle between different dashboards in Fusion. I'd just add the extra modules you're interested in for the 2nd tank and connect with an AquaBus cable. If the tanks are farther apart, you can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long at https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a list of all the available modules and what they're used for:
 
It's way more expensive to buy a 2nd Apex, and it's cumbersome to toggle between different dashboards in Fusion. I'd just add the extra modules you're interested in for the 2nd tank and connect with an AquaBus cable. If the tanks are farther apart, you can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long at https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a list of all the available modules and what they're used for:
I’m looking at buying a 25’ cable from them, it would be long enough. I think adding modules is my preference, I just thought asking for others experience couldn’t hurt. I do want to be able to see everything from a single dashboard.
 
In QT, I'm just concerned with monitoring temp and pH all the time (or available at a quick glance). I use a simple thermometer for the former and a cheap pinpoint pH meter (freshly calibrated) for the latter. I then check salinity once or twice a week (I don't have much evaporation as I use a glass lid). Obviously, if I use copper, I check that level daily with my Hanna checker. Even when I QT corals, I don't bother checking Alk, Ca, or Mg. I never both with NO3 or PO4 in QT. BTW, my standard QT is a 10G tank with an HOB biowheel filter and a sponge filter. I do a 20% water change once a week if there are fish in there.
 
I have two Apex Units only because my first system got up to 22 modules and the dashboard is starting to be very cluttered so I figure get the second Apex because it was easier to see things then
 

Attachments

  • 75FF4305-7755-4135-9463-8B53792DCFC4.png
    75FF4305-7755-4135-9463-8B53792DCFC4.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 24

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top