Setting up 280 gal. Questions and floor load questions

Kyle lanoue

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
410
Reaction score
55
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i set up my rock scape should i put some white eggcrate down and a thin layer of sand . Then build my rockscspe and install sand after. Or should i skip out on egg crate.

Will 1 vectral L1 be enough for a return?


Does anyone know how to calculate how much dead weight a tripled up 2x10 (lag bolted together.) Can hold on center over a 13ft span? The cross brace is to hold lights btw :)

Also on top of my steel stand sits 3/4 maple plywood then 1/2" pink foam insulation board (to help sef level the tank) is this pink insulation board fine . I was told to do this by a few people .

20181230_204723.jpg


20181231_054952.jpg


20181231_054956.jpg


20181231_055006.jpg
 
Last edited:
When i set up my rock scape should i put some white eggcrate down and a thin layer of sand . Then build my rockscspe and install sand after. Or should i skip out on egg crate.

Will 1 vectral L1 be enough for a return?


Does anyone know how to calculate how much dead weight a tripled up 2x10 (lag bolted together.) Can hold on center over a 13ft span? The cross brace is to hold lights btw :)

20181230_204723.jpg


20181231_054952.jpg


20181231_054956.jpg


20181231_055006.jpg

1) When i set up my rock scape should i put some white eggcrate down and a thin layer of sand . Then build my rockscspe and install sand after. Or should i skip out on egg crate.
- Personally I always put egg crate down. less chance of a sharp spot on the rock cracking the bottom panel (I have and always have glass tanks). Some others have also used HPDE sheets (cut to the size of their bottom panel and the side silicone). If you want to run bare bottom, this looks better than egg-crate and still offers protection.

https://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/hdpe-sheets/


2) Will 1 vectral L1 be enough for a return?
- Should be fine. The pump is adjustable so if its too much flow, you can dial is back.

Does anyone know how to calculate how much dead weight a tripled up 2x10 (lag bolted together.) Can hold on center over a 13ft span? The cross brace is to hold lights btw :)
- lol they can hold a lot of weight. You will be fine suspending the lights from the joists.
 
I know lights will be fine. But will a 4000lb tank be okay sitting on the joist . Thinking i will need 2 vectra L1s honestly but im gonna try 1for now. Ill pick up egg crate then
 
I know lights will be fine. But will a 4000lb tank be okay sitting on the joist . Thinking i will need 2 vectra L1s honestly but im gonna try 1for now. Ill pick up egg crate then

Oh I thought your joist pictures were for your lighting not the tank.

Honestly, its 100% irresponsible for anyone on this forum to answer your load question. I would suggest getting an engineer to go to your house, take a look, and assess the load of where the tank will be going. They can assess your situation properly.

If you don't want to pay an engineer, the VERY least you could do is buy 2-3 Jack Posts and place them under the joists. They are rated up to 4 ton each:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tiger-Brand-Super-S-Series-8-ft-4-in-Jack-Post-J-S-100/100022783
 
Last edited:
I have a Engineer coming out figured id ask here to there are aot of smart people on here i like to get advice from 3 or 4 sources when i do stuff the Engineer is about a week out so figured id ask :)
 
I have a Engineer coming out figured id ask here to there are aot of smart people on here i like to get advice from 3 or 4 sources when i do stuff the Engineer is about a week out so figured id ask :)

Ya fair enough. Personally with 2 Jack Posts you would most likely be more than fine but still best to check with the engineer as they can see what direction the load will be running and how many joists the tank spans.
 
Oh I thought your joist pictures were for your lighting not the tank.

Honestly, its 100% irresponsible for anyone on this forum to answer your load question. I would suggest getting an engineer to go to your house, take a look, and assess the load of where the tank will be going. They can assess your situation properly.

If you don't want to pay an engineer, the VERY least you could do is buy 2-3 Jack Posts and place them under the joists. They are rated up to 4 ton each:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tiger-Brand-Super-S-Series-8-ft-4-in-Jack-Post-J-S-100/100022783

There are a lot of engineers on here that can answer it. You can also lookup online how much of a load each joists will hold. It’s all about the size and span. Jack stands are pretty cheap. That’s what I did on my 400g.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top